Group Buys

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
briand
Class E

Group Buys

Post by briand »

Can someone tell me where group buys are hosted here? Thanks. :wink:

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey Bri, It is I.

(hey, that rhymes!)

I am working on that stuff right now. As you know, I kinda got blindsided and need to get some housekeeping in order and figure out the how's and why's first before I can release any new buys. It will get be behind the power curve for a little while, but we have stuff in the works.

Ummmm, Spike... what do you think about changing the Site Subtitle to "By the People, for the People?"

Hmmmmm, kinda catchy... don'tcha think?

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

briand
Class E

Post by briand »

No rush for me. I just want to make sure I know whats being offered so I don't miss out.

I was checking out mounts and see the only Barry RV-8 mounts listed are for 540's. :? Don't know if Lords are better but couldn't find any info on availability for the Van's line. I would be interested if you decide to do a GB for some mounts.
RV-8 Fuse/Finish

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

John usually posts a thread here when he starts a new one up. They become fairly obvious. We dont have problems with using RB to promulgate and prmote the buys. The more the merrier.

Keep up the good work CJ.

"For the people by the people" ... Niiiice. Though that does sum it up fairly well.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bri,

I talked to Ken at Van's. He was ummmmm, less than helpful. I have a sneaky suspicion that the engine mounts (like the landing gear) is made by a family friend and they don't have any interest in diminishing the relationship... if ya knowhattamean.

When I talked to Ken about engine mounts, he put me on hold for about 3 seconds, came back and announced that he had to "GO". Soooo, that ended that and he said more by it than he could even if words were spoken!

Anyways, the deal right now sits in R&D. I have product numbers, specs and am working on pricing, numbers and distribution as I type this.

When all the dust settles the user group (us!) will have the street level knowledge to deal with Lord directly. The group buy will serve as an inroad to the ways and means.

Spike, thanks a bunch!

Soooooo, there we are. All updated!

...for the next 5 minutes!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

Hey CJ,

It looks like my idea is coming to fruition. BTW, I have heard from several builders and they all expect RB to be the new leader in RV info soon. Things are starting to fall apart "over there".
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

You would not believe the emails I have been getting!

There are ALOT of quiet birdmen (not me!) out there who are venting to me in private!

The RV community is all about sharing. We all do what we can for our love of flying.

You work your strong points be that metal work, FWF, aerodynamics, electricity, deal making or web publishing. Make your strengths available to the rest of the community and we have a network.

We do what we can is all.

:) CJ
RV-7

briand
Class E

Post by briand »

Sounds good. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
RV-8 Fuse/Finish

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

smithhb wrote:Hey CJ,

It looks like my idea is coming to fruition. BTW, I have heard from several builders and they all expect RB to be the new leader in RV info soon. Things are starting to fall apart "over there".
That's absolutely true. I've been watching the RV Hotline fairly closely. We have been getting in the newsletter a lot lately. We've had a lot of new people sign up in the last couple of weeks and way more lurkers. I predict this site to be the next big thing in RV aviation.

I think the group buys are going to be a big draw. Here's to hoping CJ can continue to negotiate those hot deals.

Here's also to hoping Spike can handle the bandwitdth.
Last edited by svanarts on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Actually it looks like we might be migrating to a new server sometime in the next few months. Id like to get a somewhat bigger box under us as we are growing. Pretty nifty if you ask me.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

briand
Class E

Post by briand »

Think DR's boss will give him his old job back? :mrgreen:

I'm sorry, I had to say it, just couldn't resist.
RV-8 Fuse/Finish

smithhb
Class D

ACS has Capitulated!

Post by smithhb »

Congrats CJ!

It seems your threatening to leave VAF (and take the Group buys with you) has resulted in ACS paying for an ad.

I gotta admit I almost died laughing when it was suggested that someone else step up and coordinate the future group buys....and the thread died.

Don't be surprised in 12-18 months when Doug makes the site subscription based only... Hey, he's gotta feed those kids you know.
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

The ONLY reason he is doing these new sales (also called Group buys) is because of the vacuum left behind from the pullout. If he didn't people would say, Whiskey Tango Fox! You ripped us off!

He ain't dumb, ya know!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

aparchment
Class C

Keep me in the loop

Post by aparchment »

Hey Johny:

Please keep me in the loop on group buys! I wasn't interested in the Icom radio, but I need a bunch more stuff. Let me know if you need help with anything. I don't have a ton of bandwidth, but I should be able to help with something.

I am pretty much interested in anything I need to finish the plane:

- avionics
- prop
- engine (fat chance)
- Wheels/tires
- interior
- hardware
- wiring

Antony

briand
Class E

Post by briand »

My favorite post was from the guy who said it appears DR is spending all his time contacting vendors and selling ad space and not really providing any original content to his website. :lol:
RV-8 Fuse/Finish

briand
Class E

Post by briand »

Article:
On your site - How many ads are too many?

Its a little hard to read in spots but the guy has some good advice.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread9682.html

The only exclusive content on that other site are the stupid ads.

And if anyone wants to argue about it, take it up with my trigger happy little friend over to the left. :mrgreen:
RV-8 Fuse/Finish