4-7 rivets

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
CalKid
Class G

4-7 rivets

Post by CalKid »

What's better squeezing 4-7s or using the rivet gun? I have no problems squeezing the 4-6s but bit concerned the 4-7s might be prone to bending over.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

If the thickness of the material you are riveting is correct I don't think it should matter much. Rivets bending instead of "squatting" is generally a function of how much rivet length is exposed, and how straight your gun/squeezer is.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

CK, are you using a hand squeezer or pneumatic? I started with a hand squeezer on the rear HS spar, and clubbed (bent over) about 40 rivets. I bought a pneumatic after that, and haven't had a problem.

Bottom line is, like Spike said, doesn't matter the length of rivet...you should always be moving the same amount of shop head whether it's a -7, -6, -3, or -16. The squeezer will always be easier, however.

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

If your rivets are clubbing, you have a different problem.

The length is only a factor in clubbing if you have too much shank extending from the surface of the material on the shop head side. Basically, it is difficult to get all that protruding material to lay down flat.

Early on, Chad and I had the same problem with hand squeezers. The cheap ones have poor alignment and tend to club the rivets. If you want a good hand squeeze, get an Avery or a Cleaveland Main Squeeze. Throw away all the others or use them only for dimpling.

A pneu squeeze is money well spent.

Does this help?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

when you get to 7's they tend to shift over a bit.due to the yoke flexing. if you will over reach a touch with the squeezer yoke it will drive straight. but you are better off using the gun

overreach means to put the tip of the yoke over center of the shop head JUST A TINY BIT and this will compensate for the spreading...
cjensen wrote: Bottom line is, like Spike said, doesn't matter the length of rivet...you should always be moving the same amount of shop head whether it's a -7, -6, -3, or -16. The squeezer will always be easier, however.

8)
this is only true if there is not ANY slop in the hole. the 7 and up tend to bend over. the end tank rib is where this happens due to the number of layups.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

Usually rivets will bend over like a bent nail if they are too long.

On really long rivets, I thend to start of squeezing them a little, the coming back with a gun and blasting away.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Remember that the part of the rivit that extends past the material should be 1.5 X rivit diameter. more length than that, the rivit tends to bend over.
Dan A.