Rudder stiffeners on RV8

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
wjbruner
Class G

Rudder stiffeners on RV8

Post by wjbruner »

I notice the rudder and elevator stiffeners are slightly curved out of the box, probably from the forming process. I am considering fluting the undrilled flange to straighten the drilled side. this will ensure the entire length of the stiffener will lay true against the rudder/elevator skin prior to riveting. Anyone encounter this before, and if so, did you address it in any way?

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Do the stiffeners still come as one long piece and you have to cut them out ? I don't recall having to flute mine. Maybe the piece is manufactured differently now ?
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I think mine were ever so slightly curved when they were one long piece. Once they were cut out, it was not noticable, and they went right on without any problems.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I didn't notice any curve on mine once they were cut into small pieces and shaped, the same has been true for the fuel tank and aileron stiffeners in my case.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

wjbruner
Class G

Post by wjbruner »

They do come in long pieces that need cut. However, even after cutting they have a slight bow in each piece. Much like the ribs did.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I wouldn't worry about it. You will be using a back rivet set (if you have one), which will push the stiffener down as the rivet sets. The bow of that thin angle is not enough to make the rudder skin bow. Mine looks fine, and I had the same issue.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com