BENDING CONTROL SURFACE TRAILING EDGE

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
wjbruner
Class G

BENDING CONTROL SURFACE TRAILING EDGE

Post by wjbruner »

I'm Preparing to construct the 2 x 8 brake used to bend the rudder trailing edge on my RV8. I've heard some builders will use a hand seamer in addition to this since the 2 x 8 brake will not quite bend the edge as much as needed. anybody have any ideas on the best method to accurately accomplish this bend?

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I have heard of people using a metallic rod on the inside of the bend to support the surface and aid in making a consistent radius.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I used a 1/8 steel rod in the trailing edge to get the radius correct. It works great.

Good luck!
Dan

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I used a variety of different diameter wooden dowel. Cheap and does the job. I used a 3/16" steel rod to align the hinges.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I used just the bending brake with no dowel or rod. My trailing edges turned out GREAT. Just be sure to push the trailing edge all the way against the hinges on the brake and you'll be fine.

You can use the trick of the hand seamers to smooth out any waviness in the trailing edge (if you get any). However, you want to put a metal rule on the top and bottom of the hand seamers or else you will hand some nasty results. Here is a pic of my hand seamers with some metal rules taped to it to show how it is supposed to be done:

Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS