Alternatives to Proseal

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
CalKid
Class G

Alternatives to Proseal

Post by CalKid »

I have been advised that a marine grade silicon caulking is preferable to proseal due to ease of use with same use results and cheaper.

CalKid
Class G

Alt. Proseal

Post by CalKid »

The application is for a trailing edge not fuel tanks.

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

i used an rtv safe for aluminum and when i came back to check it after drying it had aloowed the trailing egde to pillow and open. i opened it back up cleaned it out and went proseal. worked like a champ. some silicones are corrosive also.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I can't speak to that particular product, but having used both T88 structural epoxy and pro seal, the pro seal was vastly superior. The T88 had no give to it and once you adhesion in one of the bays between 2 rivet holes, the whole thing un-zippered and I was back to square one.

The pro seal had flexibility to it and kept that from happening. I thought in the end it was a great way to go.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

markb
Class G

Post by markb »

No!

Proseal is a polysulfide sealant. It is not the same thing as silcone RTV. Actually, in marine applications silicone isn't used that much and its use is restricted to above the waterline.

There are suitable marine-grade sealants. Most of the marine sealants are either polyurethane or polysulfide. The urethanes are stronger and have better adhesion than the polysulfides. Polysulfides are used where fuel or solvent resistance is required. (For example teak decks, where oil finishes would dissolve a urethane adhesive.)

I have used 3M 5200 Polyurethane Marine Sealant for a variety of purposes. Since it's a single-part sealant, you're supposed to use it up the same day, but I've found that an open tube of 5200 will keep several weeks in the refrigerator. I would not hesitate to use 5200 in place of Proseal anywhere that fuel resistance is not required. Obviously, for sealing fuel tanks you need to use something that's intended for that purpose. Also, 5200 takes about a day to set up, so it may not be the best choice for all applications.

3M also makes a polysulfide sealant, 101. Sika makes a wide variety of polyurethane sealants. I have no experience with any of these products.