Is 13/16 hole better for wing wireing conduit than 3/4 hole

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Mike Balzer
Class E

Is 13/16 hole better for wing wireing conduit than 3/4 hole

Post by Mike Balzer »

I have read that some builders are drilling the hole for the wing wireing to 13/16 instead of 3/4 or making the hole slightly larger than 3/4 to ease the pulling of the conduit. What would be the best way to go.
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I used a hole size small enough for the inner ridges of the conduit.
Then I slit the conduit which made it easier to run.

The slit ends up on the bottom just incase any moisture or water ever gets in there, it can drip out the bottom.

Makes it easier to fix any snag's too since you can open it up with your fingers if needed, but stays pretty closed on it's own so no wiring will escape unless on purpose.

Of course, the conduit is also pro-sealed at each rib too.

Try to make sure you run the conduit between any rivet holes so you won't have to buck behind it when doing the bottom skins.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Mike-

My general theory on drilling any hole is to always make it as small as possible. I drilled 3/4" holes for the conduit and didn't have all that much trouble pulling it through. It maybe took 15-20 min per wing.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

jerryb
Class G

13/16 inch hole for conduit

Post by jerryb »

I went with the 13/16" hole for the conduit. Alittle easier to pull the conduit through and I prosealed it to the ribs. I talked with the RV builders in my EAA chapter and they were split about 50/50 on 3/4 vs 13/16 holes for the conduit, so my guess is that either size will work.

Jerry B
RV-7
Still working on the wings.
Wheaton, IL

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

Thank you for your comments,

My uni-bit stopped at 3/4 and I located the hole per vans blue print that have been hard to find but I have seen it on other builders web sites. I like the idea about moisture being able to run out by slitting it on the bottom. Have any rv had problems with water in conduit?

Thank you,

Mike Balzer

[/b]
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB