Crotch Strap, or not?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
BSwayze
Class C

Crotch Strap, or not?

Post by BSwayze »

I'm at a point in the center section of my fuselage where I need to make a decision about seatbelts. I notice that Vans sells 4-point seatbelt and harness kits, or 5-point kits with a crotch strap. Now would be the time to install the brackets if I go with a crotch strap. So I'm wondering...

What are most builders using? I admit I haven't paid much attention to this matter until now. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each kind other than the cost? Is it a compromise in safety to go with a 4-point seatbelt?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or input.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I am personally planning on installing the anti-submarine belt. I don't want to go anywhere in the off chance that I have an off field landing.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Crotch Strap, or not?

Post by bullojm1 »

Bruce,

I installed the crotch strap kit. It wasn't too expensive ($40 or $50 from Van's) and installing it was a piece of cake while the center section wasn't completely installed. It isn't as fun once the fuse is together, but still doable. I'd say the advantage is safety. The 5 point is definitely safer than the 4 point, but I don't know by how much. For the minimal cost and weight involved with installing it, I'd say put it in. Worst case is if its uncomfortable and/or not used, just uninstall the 5th belt. It's easier to do it that than wish you had it. Also, if you do go that route, make sure you get your seats made/upholstered to accommodate the 5th belt.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Go for it. Well worth the minimal added cost and work.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks, Scott, thanks Mike!

Yes, I have decided to definitely install the brackets for a 5-point sytem. Others have told me that the lap belt rides up on your stomach if you don't have a crotch strap to hold it down where it belongs. For that reason alone I would want one. Then there's the safety issue, of course.

Thanks again!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

You're building a -7A... it's aerobatic... put it in! :mrgreen:

Edit: I see that you've already made the decision... so please ignore me! :)
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com