Question Re: Plans for HS Skinning

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Cherokee Driver
Class E

Question Re: Plans for HS Skinning

Post by Cherokee Driver »

OK,

This is probably very simple but I am drawing a blank. What does "OPTIONAL MK-319-BS ON BOTTOM SIDE" mean. I cant find a reference in the manual and I searched for it here.

It is for an RV-8 but I posted in general hoping it is a universal instruction. Thanks in advance for your help.

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

The MK-319-BS is a blind rivet (or pop-rivet). It basically means if you aren't able to buck the AN426AD3-3.5's as called out, you can use the specified blind rivet. It also says you should only use it on the bottom so people don't see it on the top side of the finished stab.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Yep, what Mike said...I popped mine there...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Thanks guys, you are THE best! Now I have the two follow up questions.

1. Anyone try to buck these...or is it best to just pull them and don't even try to be the guy hoping to prove something?

Second question...probably for Spike...how do you remove the stupid questions you post so you don't broadcast your ignorance to the world!

Thanks to all. As you can see, the dinner at the Otter got the blood flowing again. Special encouragement came from Painless and Brad Oliver. Those steaks must be fortefied with high levels of "get her done!"

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

You get to leave the postings so that other people with the same questions who are too timid to ask can see the answer! :evil:

As for bucking versus blind riveting, do what is best for you in these situations. Lots of people get hung up on never using blind rivets. I personally say "bah!". Just build it :D
Last edited by Spike on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I guess I fall under Spike's category of being one of those people that "get hung up on never using blind rivets". I have gone to great lengths and hassle to not use blind rivets unless absolutely necessary. For me its about pride in my workmanship and not getting the thing in the air ASAP.

Either technique are acceptable methods for building. The issue with using solid rivets in tight spots is it can be a real pain if you mess up bucking it and you drill it out incorrectly. If that happens, you may not be able to put a blind rivet in, and use an OOPS rivet. On the flipside, if you do tackle these more difficult rivets, it will make you a better builder. Eventually in the build there will be spots where you are going to have to tough it out and install a pain-in-the-ass rivet.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I also fall into the category of using solid rivets if at all possible. I did the ones you point out even before I had my tungsten bucking bar, which by the way makes doing some tight spot jobs way easier.

If the plans say it is acceptable to use a pulled rivet, it is from a technical point of view, an individual builder may decide if he/she wants to exercise that option. I can say that sometimes it is just a matter of doing things in the right order to make it easy, while others can be a lot of work to use a solid rivet because a special setup or tool is required.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)