WPA RV Builders Class

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
tshort
Class C

WPA RV Builders Class

Post by tshort »

I just got back from the weekend class at Tom Emery's shop in PA and I can unconditionally recommend this to anyone considering building an RV. I have been researching and reading about this project for over a year but the amount of information I learned from Tom is unbelievable. I now know what all these tools are for, how they work, how to set them up, and which ones I want to buy. Tom let us work in his shop and use all of his tools, so we got a great look at what is good and what isn't. He has a wealth of information and tips, and is really interested in teaching his students how to build safe airplanes. We only had 3 students (class is limited to 5 - compare that to the EAA Sportair workshops that may have 12+), so Tom was there to demonstrate all kinds of cool stuff. We each completed the sample airfoil project from Van's (you can see our photo on the website listed below).
Additionally, there are several hours of discussion on topics like certification, aircraft hardware, etc.
Tom's wife, Nicki, whips up a great meal for lunch every day, so there is no need to leave the workshop and search for food (we had burgers, hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad and homemade cake the first day!)

If you are considering a workshop I echo Dan Checkoway's thoughts and highly recommend Tom Emery. Not only is the workshop cheaper, but there is more personal attention and more hands on experience. If you're willing to spend thousands on tools and kit parts, consider this a very small investment (moneywise) towards making your kit building process a lot easier. I have seen lots of questions posted on several forums that will be no brainers after Tom's workshop (trust me - I'm no expert, we just learned a ton this weekend!).

Check him out....
http://www.wparvbuilders.nstemp.com/

Thomas
p.s. I get no kickbacks or anything, this is an unsolicited recommendation...

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Sounds like you had a great time!

That is a RAVE review!

So, when are you ordering your pneumatic squeeze?

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Yeah, the pneumatic squeezer really makes a huge difference - call me lazy, but I can't imagine building without it...
Tom is friends with the guy at clearairtools.com which has some great deals on squeezers...

Thomas

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Good place to buy one from!

Fred at Clear Air is a square shooter.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Terry B
Class G

EAA SportAir Workshop

Post by Terry B »

I posted here after searching the forum and noticed the reference to the EAA SportAir Workshop. PA is a long way from Austin Tx, and when I decide on the RV I plan to build after completing my training, I may look into attending something like Tom Emery's Workshop.

For the time being, has anyone attended the EAA SportAir Workshop and if so what class did you attend. They are having one here in Houston Texas which is about 3 hours drive and would only have one overnighter. I am looking at the Sheet Metal Basics for or Electrical Systems, Wiring and Avionics. The price for either one is $289. Also Saturday night there is a $25 "Whats Involved in Kit Building" which includes a pizza dinner (so it will not be a total loss if it is not educational).

Anyone attended or have any thoughts?

Enjoy ya adventure to the greatest aviation gathering on earth.......

Terry

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Terry, I'd go for it. If you haven't had any experience with sheet metal, It would be very educational. I took the coures from Van's when he was offering classes several years ago and found it very worth while. I believe the EAA class would be just as good.
Best of luck!
Dan RV8 742DA 10.5 hrs.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I had the same experience out here on the west coast with Synergy Air. Wally gives a great class in his hanger at the Eugene airport. Only difference would be that Wally makes a good strong case against pnuematic squeezers.

surface warrior
Class G

Grov-Air

Post by surface warrior »

My wife and I attended the builder's course at Grov-Air in Indianapolis in May. We learned a lot about building an RV during this weekend class. We took the class to determine if we possessed the skills necessary to building our own RV, and learned that we indeed do have those skills.

I most highly recommend attending one of these RV builder's course if you're a first time metal airplane builder.

Charlie
RV-9A (pondering)
N827CB (reserved)

Ron
Class E

Post by Ron »

I went to alexander tech. center in atlanta georgia. I to learned how to use all the tools and such, and at the end of the 5th day, my tail kit was complete! While we worked on my tail kit, their paint shop primed all the parts with polyfiber epoxy. They have rooms right at the facility for 20.00 a night, which gives you 24 hr access to the shop and tools. Yes, it is intense 5 day's but what a jump start for those who wish to move the project into the fast lane. I know builders who after 1-2 years still have not finished the tail.

And Oh Yeah, the project came out as proffesional as you can get! They will give you just enough rope to hang yourself, then step in and show you the right way before you ruin parts.
Ron
Wings & Fuselage

http://rons-rv-7.myairplane.com

Post by Guest »

Hey Jim,
what is his case against the pneumatic squeezer? I have been using one and have had no problems.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Nothing wrong with having them. It's the getting them. They are a bit spendy and the money used to obtain the squeezer could be spent on the panel.

dirtmanf800
Class G

Post by dirtmanf800 »

Fred at Clear Air is a square shooter.

I'll second that :!:
collecting tools, planning shop, studying -9A preview plans, old and new training project on hand, fabricating stiffeners.
dirtmanf800

Pneumatic Squeezers

Post by Guest »

"Nothing wrong with having them. It's the getting them. They are a bit spendy and the money used to obtain the squeezer could be spent on the panel."

Don't know of any builders who were willing to part with their pneumatic squeezers once their project was finished.

Can't see that you would ever lose money if you decided to sell your squeezer when you were done with the project &/or needed extra money for a panel.

Hope you had the opportunity to use a pneumatic squeezer and learn about them so you could make up your own mind.

aparchment
Class C

Another Tom/Nickie Emery review

Post by aparchment »

I highly recommend Tom and Nickie Emery's Western PA RV Builder's workshop. My only hesitation at doing so is that by recommending them Tom has less time to possibly help me! Sorry Tom -- couldn't resist.

Here is my summary from my builder's log:

Tom and Nickie [Emery] run a two day RV builders workshop every month at their hangar at the Rostraver Airport just outside Pittsburgh, PA. See www.wparvbuilders.nstemp.com. They are super nice people and do an excellent job with this workshop. Tom has decades of experience building metal planes, including many RVs. He built Dago Red, the most successful unlimited mustang to compete in the Reno Air Races. He methodically taught us about metal working, aircraft construction, tools and all of the basic skills needed to build an RV. His wife Nickie kept us well fed and hydrated and supplied the humor to soften Tom's no-nonsense approach to aircraft building. After two days with these folks, I felt competent to tackle my own RV. I highly recommend spending time in one of Tom and Nickie's workshops if you are new to building metal planes.

Antony Parchment
RV7A builder