Kit Inventory Discrepancies

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
john_r_graham
Class G

Kit Inventory Discrepancies

Post by john_r_graham »

I inventoried both the empennage and wing kits over the Christmas holidays. There was no damage at all (I was very favorably impressed with the crating) and exactly this missing:
  • One little plastic bushing.
  • One small AN bolt.
  • One bag of miscellaneous lens attach hardware.
which I though was pretty good. Was that about the same for you all?

While talking to the guys at the factory about these extremely minor discrepancies, I commented on the high quality of the crate and learned that the guy that builds the crates is totally blind. He knows his wood shop so well that he doesn't need his cane in there though. The rest of the Van's personnel don't dare move or deliver anything without him being there because he has the layout and location of everything perfectly memorized. Had you all heard that story?

- John

smiller
Class G

Post by smiller »

Yep. I've seen him every time I've gone to Van's to pick up the next major kit in my project. Pretty amazing watching him work!

I've also been very impressed with my inventory results (emp, wing, and fuselage so far, RV-7A). I think the only discrepancy I've found is, in the wing kit, one of the little plastic bags of rivets had the wrong size rivets in it (it was labeled AD4.5 but had AD4 in them or something like that -- yes, I actually measured a rivet from every bag to confirm it was the size specified on the bag! I also checked for the dimple on the rivet head (structural rivet).). Van's stuck a new bag of rivets into the mail, no charge of course. I didn't even have to send them back the incorrect bag.

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

I've had my share of missing bags, wrong size bolts, 2 right sides and no left side, etc. Van's makes good on these every time and usually pretty quick. I inventoried the fuselage kit back in April. Started working on the elevator pushrods and found that they gave me the wrong size rod ends. Called them up and even though it had been over 6 months later, they made good on the mistake.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I had about a .1% error in the parts of my entire list of parts that came from Vans.

I don't know how their number/bag system works but however it does, it must work pretty darn well.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

johnk
Class E

Re: Kit Inventory Discrepancies

Post by johnk »

john_r_graham wrote:... the guy that builds the crates is totally blind. He knows his wood shop so well that he doesn't need his cane in there though. The rest of the Van's personnel don't dare move or deliver anything without him being there because he has the layout and location of everything perfectly memorized. Had you all heard that story?

- John
Yes, and there's an interesting video interview of him floating around on the internet somewhere, I remember seeing it a few months ago. I'll post a link if I can find it.

John

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hey John Good to see you!

-- Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

johnk
Class E

Post by johnk »

Spike wrote:Hey John Good to see you!

-- Spike
Thanks! I still exist!

Wings done (just about), and a big box full of fuselage parts due any day now!

John

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

johnk wrote:Thanks! I still exist!

Wings done (just about), and a big box full of fuselage parts due any day now!

John
Hey John!! It is good to hear that you're still working on your kit!!

I had about the same amount of inventory error as Brian...it's nearly perfect every time, and pretty impressive!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

johnk
Class E

Re: Kit Inventory Discrepancies

Post by johnk »

johnk wrote:
john_r_graham wrote:... the guy that builds the crates is totally blind. He knows his wood shop so well that he doesn't need his cane in there though. The rest of the Van's personnel don't dare move or deliver anything without him being there because he has the layout and location of everything perfectly memorized. Had you all heard that story?

- John
Yes, and there's an interesting video interview of him floating around on the internet somewhere, I remember seeing it a few months ago. I'll post a link if I can find it.

John
Here's the video, Jim Daggett, "Vans Aircraft Resident Box Builder".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzZoSbHPgg

John

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I've heard of him, but never saw that video...that is AWESOME!!!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I have heard about him too.

I have a hard time taking those crates APART and I can SEE!

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!