Wing stands & drill bushing?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Parish
Class D

Wing stands & drill bushing?

Post by Joe Parish »

Looking for input on wing stands. I am thinking of building the steel ones. rectangular tubing with angle welded to the bottom to bolt to the floor. Wondering about what height to set the support for the spar? I have heard chest height is good. I thought I would seek input from those that have been their and done that. I was also wondering were to buy the drill bushing to drill the hole in the elevator horns? Thanks for the input.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

I built mine on movable stands and was glad I did. Easy to move them around and work in limited space. Mount the spars higher than you think, otherwise you'll be laying on the floor trying to rivet the skins to the rear spar. I also had to crawl under the wing in order to work on the other side. With the matched hole construction you don't really need to use the stands to keep things aligned, but you do need to be able to get everything level and squared up before match drilling and riveting. You'll also need something in the middle do get the sag out of the wing.

I used Smitty's suggestion of using a brass hose barb as a drill bushing and that worked just fine. Just be sure to mount the rod end bearings to the outer limit on the plans so that the eventual hole in the horns is far enough away from the welds so that you can get the bolt some decent clearance.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

Joe -

I built a rigid (non-moveable) wing frame for my 9A with 4x4 vertical posts anchored to the floor and ceiling of my garage. This worked well - specifically when I had to support the center of the rear spar to prevent the assembly from sagging. Chest height worked great. My frame held both wings approximately 3 1/2 feet apart - which was more than enough room.

If you decide to build a moveable frame - remember that the wing skins protrude ~ 1/2" outboard of the last rib... so allow clearance between the vertical posts. Otherwise you will have to "notch" the horizontal supports.

Thx, Lorin
RV-9A SB (Fuselage)
N194LD

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

I have a set of steel wing stands that I made from pallet racking. You can have them, if you want. About 300 miles from Sioux Falls. I used them for my 8.

I can't remember what you are building, maybe they won't work?
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I made steel one's as well, and mounted the spar shelf at 46" (stands were 48"). Worked find for me...

But that did mean I was on the floor to do the rear spar-

Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Oh, and you may already have the bushing thing figured out, but you can buy them from McMaster Carr cheap...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

I bought the bushing from McMaster-Carr, too. I used it just a few months ago to drill the emp bearing holes. I was very disappointed at the time to find out it wouldn't fit in the bearing! I measured it with a micrometer and found it to be exactly 250-thousands in diameter. EXACTLY 1/4". But there was no way it would go in the bearing. My AN4 1/4" bolts go in the bearing just fine, though. So I thought it must be very close. So I ended up chucking it in the drill press and turning it, and using some emery paper, honed it down a little at a time until it would slide just snugly into the bearing.

So in the end, it worked just fine!

Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks for the input guys!

Lance thanks for the offer but I could build them for $100. I love the idea of building steel wing stands but I am thinking if I did build it from wood I could reuse the wood for the wing cradle. The steel will run me $100 and not sure what I would use it for when I was done? Still undecided! Unfortunately I have some time before I will get my wings.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A