What else would I need?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
s10sakota
Class E

What else would I need?

Post by s10sakota »

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering building an RV-8. (In fact, I just bought an RV tool kit!)

I have previously built two other RANS airplanes but they were tube-and-fabric planes that both used a Rotax 912S engine. My only experience with kitplanes is those two RANS planes. The RANS kits are so complete that virtually the only thing I had to buy extra was paint, instruments, and engine!

The spinner, wiring, switches, battery, cables, etc all came with the kit. They are extremely complete kits.

So, I'm wondering if I buy an RV-8 kit, what else will I need to buy for the kit and for the engine?

For example: is the throttle cable included in the kit?

For the engine, I plan on getting a mid time 180 horse (is that the O-320, O-360??) But how about things like the oil cooler? Is that included in the kit? How about the hoses for the oil cooler? Magnetos?

I understand that paint, prop, avionics, etc... are extra, but can you guys think of things that don't come with the kit that I will need to complete the RV?

Thank you in advance,

Mark
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Hi Mark,

You can buy/build/complete any RV kit in it's entirety from Van's. They have firewall forward kits that included everything you need...if you want to build it the way they have things laid out. As soon as you deviate from those plans/kits, it changes, and you'll need to source things elsewhere. I didn't buy anything from Van's for my firewall forward, other than the engine mount, and a few cables.

They sell engines, props, avionics, etc...everything you would need. Complete.

The 180hp engine is the 360ci stock...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Chad,

Thanks for the reply. I know that Vans sells props and engines, but I know that I can not afford a brand new $35,000 Lycoming.

I plan on buying a mid time engine or a run out but rebuilt engine. (it will be a long time before I really need to think about that!)

But even though Vans sells everything I would need, what would they sell that I would need that doesn't come with the kit?

For example, I'm sure I could get the oil cooler from Vans, but would I need to? Do parts like this come with the FF kit?

I'm just trying to crunch some numbers and find the hidden costs.

Thanks!
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

itisgood
Class E

Post by itisgood »

Mark,
Glad to hear that you have chosen an RV. I think you will enjoy the build.

As far as what come with the kit. No items that I think you are expecting. No cables, except rudder and seat belt; no wiring; very little firewall forward, I think only Brake fluid reservoir and of course the engine mount. wheels, tires, tubes, fairings do.

I think I would make a call to Van's and ask your specific questions.

All you need to have an complete airframe comes with the kit. Avionics, wiring, engine, mufflers, oil cooler, battery, engine related hoses do not come.

Best to you in your decision, hope to see your postings later.
Dave

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

s10sakota wrote:Chad,

Thanks for the reply. I know that Vans sells props and engines, but I know that I can not afford a brand new $35,000 Lycoming.

I plan on buying a mid time engine or a run out but rebuilt engine. (it will be a long time before I really need to think about that!)

But even though Vans sells everything I would need, what would they sell that I would need that doesn't come with the kit?

For example, I'm sure I could get the oil cooler from Vans, but would I need to? Do parts like this come with the FF kit?

I'm just trying to crunch some numbers and find the hidden costs.

Thanks!
Well, new engines from Van's start at about $22,000, but that's beside the point, and I understand what you're getting at. I found a recently overhauled engine for half the price of a new one when the time came.

You already know this, but everything that Van's sells can be sourced elsewhere, but PM me or email me and I'll send you the FWF kit list so you can see what comes with it. I didn't buy that kit from them, but they sent me the list so I could source everything on my own.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Hey Mark, glad you made it over! :welcome:

I won't be able to add anything to the advice you get here. These guys all know what they're doing.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD