Jigs

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
s10sakota
Class E

Jigs

Post by s10sakota »

I'm thinking of changing my sign in name to "King Of Stupid Questions".

As I'm looking at all of your excellent builder's sites, I see that everyone seems to have a huge jig connected from flor to ceiling to build the tail pieces.

With the matched hole technology, isn't this suppose to eliminate the need to build a jig? Is it just easier to build with a jig?

Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Sure you're not thinking of the wings? There is a large structure that is built to support the wings. The tail only needs a V-jig for the elevators or rudder, depending on the model being built.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Chad, ok you're right :oops:

I see on the site that I was mostly looking at that the horizonal stab seems to be in a jig but it looks like it's more just for holding it upright.

A lot of the other jigs were for the wings. :bang:
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Some of the early 7's and 8's needed jigs for the tail (and all 3, 4, & 6 tails), so you may see some full size jigs, but all the modern kits don't need them.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

There are no studpid questions :oops: We all have things we don't understand. Sometimes even after the airplane is flying new puzzels appear to confuse us. The purpose of this site is to help others learn from our mistakes and/or experience. When I started building my RV-6A they told me the average builder in 1999 would spend a average of $400 in replacement parts that we screwed up. Unfortunately I exceeded my quota, :bang: but hopefully I can help someone else keep their mistakes down. Hopefully this wonderful site set up and maintained by Spike and better Half will help us all to build a safer airplane. :) Keep asking questions about what you don't understand.

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

no jigs for me...but I cheated and went QB
Brian
Townsend, MT