nose and tank rib fluting

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Parish
Class D

nose and tank rib fluting

Post by Joe Parish »

Looking for wisdom on fluting nose and tank ribs. Finished all the others last night and started on the leading edge ribs and they are kicking my butt! I messed with two of them last night and really struggled to get them flat where the holes were fairly straight. Any advice appreciated. Help me before I do something drastic! Thanks
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

put a light flute in between every hole, and see how flat it lies. If you still have a curve, try to see where it's curving the most, and deepen that flute. It shouldn't be a big deal at all...
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

Use a seamer to first get the flanges at 90 degrees, then flute between the holes lightly to get the web to lay flat. It doesn't have to be perfectly flat. Just close enough to get the skin laying down well. After you match drill and dimple, things come into place much better each time you fit them together -- especially the tank skins.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

My ribs and skin were not pre-drilled. If your ribs and skins are pre drilled then you have to fulte between rivet holes. If for some reason you have an old kit that is not pre-drilled you should flute before drilling the ribs to the skins. However assuming you are working with pre-punched the all you can do is make sure the flange is 90 degrees to the rib and then fulte between holes.

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Got em done. Thanks for the info guys.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A