Checking wing for twist

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Parish
Class D

Checking wing for twist

Post by Joe Parish »

I need to drill the tank attach brackets and then it says to recheck the wing for twist. I am wondering if I should or need to put the bottom skins back on the wing before checking for twist? The instructions do not say to do it but it seemed to be a good idea to check it with everything clecoed on the wing. Thanks
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Joe, I would put as much of the skins on as you can to hold the wing in alignment when drilling them. I think I had at least the top skins and the outboard bottom skins on when doing mine.

I understood the instructions as saying "it could affect the twist" so I thought it best to have the structure held in place by the skins to avoid it causing any unwanted twist.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

My wing were completely riveted before I test fit the wings to the fuselage. I think unless you have all the skins on permantly you are more apt to get mis-alignment or twisting of your wings. :bang:

Wicked Stick
Class B

Cleco'd

Post by Wicked Stick »

When I was talking about my build, I may have been misleading.
There's no need to rivet the skins on before drilling the tank attach brackets. Cleco'ing them on should be enough to prevent any twist when doing the drilling you are about to do.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR