Fuel Tank Sealant

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
cbkillion
Class G

Fuel Tank Sealant

Post by cbkillion »

So as I near closing up my fuel tanks, I have nightmares about leaks. I've already done as good a job as I can on the ribs and stiffeners and they are probably fine. However, I would rather be sure there are no leaks now before I close it up.

What does everyone think about thinning some sealant with MEK and then using a brush to "paint" it on the stiffeners and ribs (over the shop heads and along the fillets). Will it help fill in any possible little leaks? Will it hurt the sealant thats already there? Am I wasting my time worrying about nothing?
- Brett
...Fuselage...?

www.rv8plane.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brett,

You probably are wasting your time. If you do have a leak later, fix it then.

As far as thinning the proseal and brushing it on, that isn't recommended by the manufacturer of the product. Although, it probably could be done or has been done... it is untested.

Just put them together and test them in the traditional fashion and go from there.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

We were all paranoid about leaks...I ended up having one. You can't know for sure (even with traditional testing methods) until it is full of fuel. Do your best seal job you can do, and move on! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

There is nothing wrong with thinning tank sealant, but use Toluene not MEK. You can add up to 13% Toluene (by weight) and it will not affect the properties of the sealant, but you probably won't need that much to get it to a consistancy that you can brush on.

I got this info directly from Flamemaster, who manufactures this stuff.

Paul
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT