Riveting HS skins

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
johnson81
Class G

Riveting HS skins

Post by johnson81 »

So I'm to the point where I need to rivet HS-707 to the top of the skin. I've tried 3 or 4 times to get the hole closest to the leading edge riveted, and it's just not happening for me. It's tough to get the front of the flange to sit flush against the skin with the other holes clecoed. Got any tips? Thanks in advance.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I'm sure you have done this, but clecoing from the front to back may work if you haven't tried that.

Reading back thru my build log shows that I wasn't able to get those rivets to sit flush initially, and I drilled a few of them out, so it may well be a known problem area.

Have you used a pick to try and get the holes lined up?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

From looking at my pictures, it appears as if I did the leading edge first and work back from there. I do remember drilling out a few of those nose rivets until I figured out how to get my hand and bucking bar in the right place. The other trick is getting the flush set on the gun at about the right angle and keeping it from jumping around on that curved surface. Maybe try four pieces of electrical tape between the set and the skin just help it not slide. Electrical tape stretches enough that you can get away with it steadying a rivet set, masking tape will just snap.

Making sure those most forward flanges on the ribs are sitting nice and flat against the inside of the skin is important as well.

Being the first big piece is lots of fun and you learn a lot for doing the rest to come, like getting those flanges to fit nice, getting the flutes close enough to allow the ribs to be cleco'd in with very little effort, and holding the gun and bucking bar in a way that works for you. Don't worry about having to drill out some rivets, develop a technique that works for you so in the future if you think you should drill one out, it won't bother you.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

johnson81
Class G

Post by johnson81 »

Thanks a lot for the replies. Think I'll try the electrical tape idea. I'll let you guys know how it goes once the new HS-707 gets here! Drilling out those rivets didn't treat it too well. :(

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Welcome to the club of those who have had to purchase an HS -07. I had to replace the HS 607 on my RV-6A. I learned at the time that the average builder will spend about $300 to $400 in replacement parts on each RV kit before it flies. I probably exceeded that and of course that was 1999 dollalrs. You are getting your start more to go! :bang: