Glare Shield Material?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
BSwayze
Class C

Glare Shield Material?

Post by BSwayze »

Hey guys, I've been trying to make a decision on how to finish my glare shield on my tipup canopy. I scuffed and primed it, thinking I would spray it flat black, but then I got to thinking about other options.

Should I cover it with fabric, leather, vinyl, or some other material? What have some of you done, and are you happy with the result? What holds up good under the heat of a summer sun, and what works best to minimize annoying reflections? What kind of adhesive did you use? Where did you get the materials? The more research I do, the more questions I get in my mind!

I'd like to get this done BEFORE I glue down the plexiglass with Sikaflex. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Hi Bruce

I painted mine flat black. No muss no fuss. A friend of mine, however, covered his in the fuzzy part of Velcro material. Then if he has a gps antenna, or a traffic avoidance device, or whatever, he puts the hook materia on the underside of whatever he wants to "stick" on the glare shield.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce, I shot mine with the Rustoleum Hammered/Textured finish paint.

I like it. Buuuuut, I forgot to put some holes in the skin for defrosting the screen!!!

DOH!!!

After some chilly morning flights in the -6 I realized that I messed up and will have to install some kind of louvers or be creative with the spray can and masking tape when I punch the holes now after the canopy is adhered.

Drill some holes NOW for defrosting!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

I put two holes with computer fans under them in my glare shield and covered them with some plastic mesh I found at the RV6A department at Home Depot. Its used to cover rain gutters to keep leaves out.

To be honest with you, I never use them. I don't have the frosting issues as you do CJ. Must be that I don't have as much hot air. :evil:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hahaha, we got plenty of hot air!!!

I find it most prone to frost when sitting on the ramp waiting for the oil to warm up and/or on a long taxi first thing in the morning after coming out of the hangar.

I will have to do a retrofit on my project, I am sure.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I covered mine with black vinyl looks like leather. I used spray on fabric glue to stick it down. I folded the edge over and then glued a split piece of heavy wall black fuel hose(NAPA) over it to eliminate the sharp edge. Looks good and probably only cost $10-15 and 1hr.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I drilled the holes in the glare shield and used computer fanx that are switched with my two DC cigeratte lighter receptacls. Therefore if I am using auxliary power for handheld GPS etc the fans are on. I covered the glare shield with some black material and edging that I purchased from Vans. On a couple of cool mornings (Rare in Minnesota :P ) they serve as defrosters. I suspect once we are airborne we could turn them off and we wouldn't have a problem. I have an RV-6A Slider with two heat muffs so we have good heat. :)

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm leaning toward a nice vinyl like you used, Brian. I'll try to get a picture posted here when I decide what to do.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward