Wing stand and labeling wiring

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Parish
Class D

Wing stand and labeling wiring

Post by Joe Parish »

My left wing leading edge, tank and top skins are on. I am building the table to set the wing on to proceed as per the plans and am wondering if there is any need to leave the wing stand up. I would like to tear it down and cannot fore see a reason I will need it again but thought I would ask?

Wondering what you guys used for wire labeling? I was thinking the most economical would be to print the label and use clear heat shrink tube? I assume I can put one label around the five wires for the landing light as long as I have a schematic for each wire and what it is for.(power,ground,wigwag etc) I thought I would include the wiring schematic in the POH. It would be over kill to label each wire individually wouldn't it? Thanks for any input guys.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

DaAV8R
Class G

Wing stand

Post by DaAV8R »

I have just finished my -8 wings in the last few months. After some research I decided to rivet the bottom skins with the wings on the stands. It went well. I know many have been riveted on the table but doing it in the stand provided great access, good visibility for inspection and a stationary assembly for riveting.

Just an idea for you.

stearman456
Class G

Post by stearman456 »

B&C Specialty Products has a clear heat shrink kit - different sizes - very handy. I did all my label names on the computer, cut them out, and put them on the individual wires every three feet or so. Between that and using color coded wire, it looks pretty good to me. Not as time consuming as you might think.

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I used a DYMO LetraTag to label each wire such as coming out of each wing or coming from the instrument panel to the wings. I labeled each wire for the most part and I really don't thing there is overkill on labeling. I wish I had one of those when we finished the lower level of our house 34 years ago! I don't remember excalty what I did with everything back in 1978. Hey once in a while I have to think hard to remember what I did on the airplane a few years ago!

airguy
Class E

Post by airguy »

Masking tape and a Sharpie...
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll: