Elevator to HS gap?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
s10sakota
Class E

Elevator to HS gap?

Post by s10sakota »

I didn't find any spec in the manual other than "no binding".

My gap between the elevator and HS is 3/16". Is this ok? Should it be tighter? I'm thinking that if I screw in the hinge eye bolts the gap will close up a bit, but I'm not sure what it's suppose to be.

Here's a pic...but since it's such a close up, the gap looks huge. It's 3/16"

Anyone have a pic of theirs to post??

THanks

Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

DaAV8R
Class G

Looks good to me

Post by DaAV8R »

I would be a lot more concerned with the gap between the elevator leading edge and the reinforcement bars on the HS. Any interference at the leading edge could potentially lock up the elevator. I'm not flying but I think if you have enough thread engagement on the rod ends and an adequate gap between the HS and elevator, you're good to go.

The quality of your work looks really good.

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

I've been working on this all day with great results. It's done! I tried making the gap less but any less than it was and I wasn't getting the required travel.

It is now complete as far as mounting the elevators to the HS.

Does anyone have any tricks for deburring the hole on the inside of the elevator control arm? There's no room to get any deburring tool that I know of in there.

Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

paulie
Class G

deburr

Post by paulie »

a back countersink, just touch it. Or a countersink alone, twist it with your fingers.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Mark,

Speaking of this gap, I didn't see any evidence in your pictures of the problem I had, but it's something you can easily check for, using a straightedge. I found that the trailing edges of my HS were all turned up, increasing the gap. It looks bad, and would have increased the drag. You can see it in these pics. Here, I laid a straightedge across the trailing edge, and you can clearly see the upturned trailing edge of the skin, on the left:

It's very apparent in this picture, too:

Fortunately, the fix was relatively easy. I have more pics and explain how I fixed it on this log page:

http://www.europa.com/~swayze/RV-7A/Fus ... 00605.html
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

s10sakota wrote:Does anyone have any tricks for deburring the hole on the inside of the elevator control arm? There's no room to get any deburring tool that I know of in there.
You need a set of Burraway's!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com