Wingtip landing lights?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

timotb wrote:I'm not skilled at using relays. How and where would you place the relays? I would love to suggest something to the VP person.
Hmmmm... well this would be better if Marc Ausman were here to discuss his product personally. I haven't shelled out the loot for my VP-X yet but plan on doing it soon. When I do, I am sure that I will be more savvy about the product.

Why don't you assign each light to it's own circuit? Not sure if you could flash four circuits, but flashing two of them would certainly be adequate.

No???

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

timotb
Class E

Post by timotb »

captain_john wrote:
timotb wrote:I'm not skilled at using relays. How and where would you place the relays? I would love to suggest something to the VP person.
Hmmmm... well this would be better if Marc Ausman were here to discuss his product personally. I haven't shelled out the loot for my VP-X yet but plan on doing it soon. When I do, I am sure that I will be more savvy about the product.

Why don't you assign each light to it's own circuit? Not sure if you could flash four circuits, but flashing two of them would certainly be adequate.

No???

:? CJ

Marc Ausman did suggest running individual circuits per light, all on one switch. He says the VPX isnt handling the "inrush" of four 75 watt bulbs during light startup. Of course I will have to run additional wires and rearrange my loading planning so to have two 10 amp circuits per bank for each side. Getting Complicated. At the moment Im considering using only one halogen per side or changing bulbs to LEDs. I doubt the LEDs will put out sufficient light.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, a relay is merely an electromagnetically activated switch.

If you power the electromagnet (coil) of the relay, it throws the switch part.

The coil pulls only minimal amperage.

That being said, throw one light with the VP-X wigs wag and tie the output onto the coil AND the light. Feed the switch part of the coil with another circuit and go to the other light.

That is one of what could be many work arounds.

Marc is brilliant. He should be able to figure something out.

I am looking forward to wiring mine up soon!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!