stall warner

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
RV7A
Class E

stall warner

Post by RV7A »

Waht do you guys think about the new stall warners being sent out with the new kits? My wing kit came with it, but I don't think I really want it.

I could cut out the aluminum, add another electronic device, and connect it to a horn or light, or...um...watch my airspeed indicator!

I kind of don't see the point.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I don't have one. When the RV gets near stall speed, it is pretty apparent. The controls get very mushy and you know you're slow. However, you only need to get distracted once in order for a stall warning device to be worth it!

If you're going with a Dynon or AFS setup, you can use their AOA devices, which are far superior to a simple stall warning device.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

DaAV8R
Class G

Prepunched?

Post by DaAV8R »

My wing skins were pre-punched for the vane so I went ahead and installed it. I am going to put it on a separate breaker so I can pull the breaker if doing acro, mis-adjustment on test flight, etc. If the skins had not been punched for the vane, I would have left it off.

Robert

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

I just unpacked my leading edge wing skins and see the holes that are pre-drilled for the stall warner. I guess it's a no brainer now-I will install it.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I personally would rather have an AOA. But thats me.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

leffler
Class E

Post by leffler »

RV7A wrote:I just unpacked my leading edge wing skins and see the holes that are pre-drilled for the stall warner. I guess it's a no brainer now-I will install it.
Same here, and I have an AOA too......

I have a backup for everything on the panel, so why not redundant stall warning devices? :mrgreen:
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

RV7A
Class E

Post by RV7A »

So...for those of you that did install the stall warner, how did you dimple the holes for the bracket that gets mounted in the leading edge skin??

The manual gives the option to countersink and use pop rivets, but I really dont want to do that!

DaAV8R
Class G

Post by DaAV8R »

RV7A wrote:So...for those of you that did install the stall warner, how did you dimple the holes for the bracket that gets mounted in the leading edge skin??

The manual gives the option to countersink and use pop rivets, but I really dont want to do that!
I was able to open the skin enough to dimple it with the R2D2.

I was thinking that hooking up a buzzer seems a little lame. A little too Cessnaish. Maybe we could wire the switch to a hammer attached to the seat that would hit us in head befor we stalled.

Discuss.