Safety Wiring Question

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
BSwayze
Class C

Safety Wiring Question

Post by BSwayze »

I've done some searching, and not having much luck trying to come up with some help learning more about safety wiring. How did you guys learn all the tricks? I get the basic concept... "righty tighty, lefty loosy" and all that. But here's a specific question.

I just installed my autopilot servos, and there's one bolt on the roll-axis servo in the wing that I don't know how you would safety. Here are some pictures to help explain. This is looking into the wing, where you see the servo in place:

The red arrows in the following picture show the two front bottom bolts. No problem figuring out how I'm going to safety these. I'll just wire them to each other.

Here's the one I'm questioning how it should be done... it's behind the servo, on top. It's a single bolt. There isn't anything nearby to wire to. I hope this photo isn't confusing, I put my inspection mirror in there so you can see the bolt head reflected in the mirror, and a red arrow pointing to it.

Those if you with TruTrak servos, how did you safety this bolt? Or any single bolt, for that matter?
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

Is that an internally wrenching allen cap bolt next to it? Maybe drill the head of that for safety wire access.

Maybe you have a rivet nearby, that you can remove and add a small little clip with a hole in it to safety wire to?

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Or if I am looking at the picture correctly, you can start with the bolt in question first, then come over the top of the servo body or around the left side as shown in your photos, then go through the second and third bolt heads in one run. You should be able to find a way of doing all three on one safety wire run.

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Here is a portion of a diagram of many examples. This may give you a better idea. If you want more examples, let me know, and I need to edit the images to remove certain information before posting.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Tom, that's very helpful. Thank you! I think I've got something figured out. I'll post a photo when I'm finished with it.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

After looking at a number of possible ways to safety this bolt, I took an easier way out. Getting into the tight space between the wing ribs, working through this small opening with my big hands proved to be difficult enough. Let alone trying to work with my safety wire pliers, on the back side of this servo. So I took the servo out and ran a #12 reamer all the way through this hole, and simply installed an AN3-12A bolt, 910 washer and locknut. I checked for any clearance issues with the pushrod that will go on here, and there's no problem. Now I'll safety the two bolts on the bottom-front in the regular way to finish this.

If anyone else has the same question, this might be your best solution, too. Thanks again for all the help!

Image \
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon