Fuse twist

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Parish
Class D

Fuse twist

Post by Joe Parish »

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: Ok now I feel better. I have a twist in the fuse, both in the front and rear and cannot seem to get it out. I am trying to get ready to drill my j-stringers. I un cleco parts and relevel but nothing seems to help.

Sorry guys I just needed to vent!

I may tear it all apart and start over? I may even try to invert it on the saw horses. The weird thing is I even clecoed on the top aft skin thinking that would help but it did not. Open to ideas. I have done some research and guys have said they have had parts that were incorrectly made and had to get new ones? It is off about 1/16 in rear maybe a little less and 1/16th to an 1/8 in the front. Frustrated to say the least. Tomorrow is another day.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Joe, it's hard from your description to visualize the problem and know exactly what's wrong. Where the twist is, and so on. A picture or two would add a lot. But honestly, 1/16" to 1/8" doesn't sound like very much to me. Again, not knowing the exact nature of the problem, I may be way off here. But this could be well within specs. I'd give Vans a call and describe it to them in detail, and see what they recommend. Let us know what they say, will you?
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Joe Parish
Class D

Fuse twist

Post by Joe Parish »

Sorry Bruce, I just needed to vent my frustration. I will probably start all over and add one piece at a time, checking as I go. I will call Vans today to see what they consider acceptable. The research I have done, did suggest once the aft deck is put in place it will eliminate some twist. I have not clecoed that in but I will keep pushing forward.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Joe, Get Van's advice and only follow that! I think Bruce is pretty close on it being a non issue but get it straight from Vans.

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

I am happy to report that I solved my fuse twist issues. I spent a week out of town away from the project which seems to help with ones perspective. I new my set up was not the best so I made some nice thick shims out of a 2x4 and got everything pretty close and screwed them to the 2x4 that the fuse was resting on. No way for them to move. In this process I noticed one of my plumb bobs didn't seem to hang quite centered on the string. I took that apart and retied the string it hangs on. Then on the rear of the fuse, I was always looking just at the very tip of the plumb bob. I noticed as it spun slightly it appeared bent. It had been dropped at some point it appeared, which slightly bent part of the tip. Off to Menards for another and now I have half of the holes drilled and should finish the j-stringers tomorrow. Happily moving on.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Joe,

Glad it is behind you!

A little time away from the project is not a bad thing.

I know that mine would be done by now if I didnt take some breaks. Some longer than others.

But when I think about it, Imam doing this project for the fun of it!

Keep up the good work!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Congrats!!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Nice going, Joe! Very happy to hear it. :)
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks guys!
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done