torque values 3/8-7/16 and 1/2

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
simatos
Class E

torque values 3/8-7/16 and 1/2

Post by simatos »

have not had a dumb question for RB for a while but getting ready to install exhaust system on engine. I remember wrecking alot of Volkwagens when i was a teenager stripping exhaust studs while changing mufflers so what is the best approach for correct tightening especially if we are working with aluminum engine block and head fasteners? I have a torque wrench that starts at 20 ft lbs which I think would be way too much. How do you guys safely tighten your fasteners?? Thanks

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Re: torque values 3/8-7/16 and 1/2

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

simatos wrote: How do you guys safely tighten your fasteners?? Thanks
in my job, most cases requiring a specific torque value it would be listed in a specific work document or blueprint.

Another thing, torque values are based on the diameter of the fastener, not wrench size used for the bolt head or nut.

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Whenever there is a threaded fastener, I attempt to toque them down if possible.

For the exhaust thread, Vetterman Tips for Installation says "Tighten the exhaust nuts to 100 to 140 inch pounds. Remember to re-check the torque on them during later inspections."

So that's 8.33 to 11.66 ft-lbs. You really need an inch-lb torque wrench for building an RV.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

hey guys thats great thanks for your help, Cheers G