Angle problem on RV-8 HS build

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Steve_Sheldon
Class G

Angle problem on RV-8 HS build

Post by Steve_Sheldon »

I am just about to attach the rear spar to the horizontal stabilizer when I noticed this angle problem. (and I have to apologize because I seem unable to post the photo I took of the situation) Basically, it looks like this: the trailing edge of the skin of the HS is at an angle, and the rear spar is straight.

It would seem that I bent the front spar attachment pieces at an excessive angle, although at the time they appeared to be appropriate to me. All of this except for the rear spar is riveted together. I suppose I could force the rear spar into place and call it good, but the gap in the middle is probably about 2 inches.

Any thoughts? And if anyone knows how to take a photo from an iphone or an email to insert here, I would appreciate that too.

Steve

Steve_Sheldon
Class G

Re: Angle problem on RV-8 HS build

Post by Steve_Sheldon »

OK, since consulting with Sterling over at Vans (very nice guy, btw) I am going forward with the idea that I've introduced a bit of a shearing load on the rivets that hold the two sides of the HS together at the forward spar. But we don't think the load is an overwhelming factor. The plan is to continue and keep an eye out for loose rivets on annual inspection.

Still, waiting to hear about how to post photos of joys and concerns here. Picture is worth a thousand words, as they say.