EAA workbenches

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
tshort
Class C

EAA workbenches

Post by tshort »

I visited the aviation department at Lowe's today to get materials to make my first bench ... was wondering if anyone had any interesting mods or suggestions before I get started. I'd forgotten how hard it was to surf thru and find enough straight 2x4s!
What about MDF vs. particle board? I'm thinking MDF for the top and something cheaper for the shelf underneath.

It seems like I saw somewhere on someone's page an interesting way to level the legs - adjustable legs of some sort - anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas
"preview plans" 8/8A

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I built the EAA tables and I will say that once they are finished you could support a truck with them. Boy are they sturdy. I built mine to plan structurally except that I changed some of the dimensions. I hate working at tables that make me bend over so since Im a fairly tall guy I raised the tables up. I built 2 of them that were 2x5, one that was 4x3, and another that was 8X3. I have pictures on my builders site. Click on the Workshop Topic and you will see the entry with picture links, etc.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

My benches are EAA standard with MDF tops. I love the MDF for it's smooth finish and lesser cost. The bottoms are 1/2" plywood. The dog loves the carpet!

:lol:

He is my helper!

I am 5'11" and the standard dims are fine with me. Remember, the stuff you are working on sits up off the tabletop, so make them lower than you may normally expect.

Hope this helps!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

I really like the looks and dimensions of the EAA tables in this thread so I have decided to build them. My other benches seem like they are too narrow so I am going to dedicate them to mount my grinder and drill press on.

Here is the link I found for the EAA table plans
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/work ... rktabl.htm
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Bill-

I'm very happy with my EAA tables - a couple of suggestions.

You definitely want to build them with a "lip" around the edge - my tops are 3x8', with a 1 1/2" edge around them - the frame underneath is 93" x 33". This is invaluable for clamping things while working. Don't know if the plans reflect that or not.

I really like the 3/4" MDF that I used for the top - it starts out flat, (unlike ply which is sometimes warped) - I lightly sanded it, put down 2 coats of polyurethane and it is a smooth, tough top. It looked great, but I've already managed to drill into it multiple times!! :bang:

I would consider lowering the shelf somewhat - I made a 3x4' version of the same tables for power tools, and lowered the shelf by 4" - this gives more usable space underneath since the space under the shelf is really wasted anyway.

Hope that helps - good luck!

Thomas

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Thomas-I am glad I read your post before I headed off to Home Depot. Your tables are a lot bigger than the 24'"x60" ones I linked in my last post. I also like the idea of having the added lip area for clamping. Do you have the plans for the tables you built?
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Bill-

Here's the link:

http://www.eaa72.org/tech/Table/Table.htm

Note that some of the measurements (i.e. the dimensions of the shelf) are not correct - you can figure them easily. That's the only error I found.
The basic frame dimensions are correct.

Note the picture on the plans doesn't show the "lip"

I'll post some pics later

Thomas
Last edited by tshort on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Here's a couple of pictures:

Thomas

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

:bang: I should have know that website. It is the chapter here in my aera. I am planning on joining this weekend and going for my first RV ride in Bill Vondane's -8A.

Thanks for the link
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Funny coincidence!
Make sure to take some pictures of the -8A and post them here. I'll be interested to see them...

Thomas

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Bill Vondane has a excellent builder's website with tons of pictures and tips. It is http://www.rv8a.com. I am sure he has the work tables somewhere on it. I hope his site doesn't sway your decision towards the -8A :bang:
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool Pix! Cool Dog!

Keep those brown bottles to a minimum while building!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I forgot that was in there ... my parents came to visit the "airplane factory" the other day and my mother was aghast that I was "drinking beer while building an airplane!!!"

I limit it to one per session and only as I'm finishing up / cleaning things up. Otherwise Van's would be shipping me all sorts of spare / replacement parts!! :mrgreen:

Thomas

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

When I built my plane I had two benches, one lower for laying out skins and such, one higher which I always stood at. Worked great to mount my bench drill press and grinder. I had itemized cabnet on the higher on also with all my rivets, clecos, shims, cleco clamps dies....you get the idea...

Beer only after all the work is done for the day, that was my rule too. But you had better watch out when I finished a sub component, BEER FOR ALL!!!.

Dale
Golf Delta

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I dont mind drinking a glass or two of wine. That seems to be my preferred building drink.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Drinking is good for thinking. I enjoy a Captain Morgan & Coke on occasion, as well as a fine micro brewed pale ale, but Harpoon is a standby when micros aren't available.

:wink: CJ
RV-7

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Thomas-I can't tell by your picture or by the EAA plans, but did you screw the table tops down or just use Elmers carpenter glue? I bought all the material to make the table, but didn't get a chance to build it last night since it was 9pm. Figured I would be nice and not run a circular saw that late.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Yeah - I first set the frame on the top, drew an outline of it, then drilled small pilot holes, flipped the thing over with the frame underneath and "match drilled" (practicing for the RV :) ) the top to the frame.
Being anal and not wanting the MDF to split I bought a countersink and countersunk the pilot holes before putting the screws in.

I did wood glue some components; I think the top should definitely be screwed down.
I quit gluing because when I move the project to the garage I'm gonna have to take the legs off to move the benches out of the basement.

Thomas

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Thanks, I wasn't sure about gluing it down since I will probably take it apart sometime in the future. Time to break out the drill and countersink.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

I just finished building the 8' x 3' EAA table from the plans listed above. The lengths of the bottom shelf is incorrect. It is to big and needs to be cut down. I will post the correct lengths tomorrow.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage