Cleaveland C-Frame Table

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
bmurrish
Class D

Cleaveland C-Frame Table

Post by bmurrish »

Has anyone built the C-Frame table from the Cleaveland plans? Just curious what type of wood to use for a top and what kind of carpet works best for the covering.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

rick6a
Class G

Re: Cleaveland C-Frame Table

Post by rick6a »

bmurrish wrote:Has anyone built the C-Frame table from the Cleaveland plans? Just curious what type of wood to use for a top and what kind of carpet works best for the covering.
I built the Cleaveland design and glad I did. I just glued and screwed cheap white pine together topped with plywood and covered with a cheap carpet remnant glued on with contact cement. The whole idea is to simply provide a stable base for your work and the carpeting sure helps to prevent scratching the delicate alclad. Maybe you've got an area or throw rug you want to replace.....here's an opportunity.
Rick Galati RV-6A
N307R "Darla"

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Rick-Does it matter what size the hole is for the dimple die? The instructions doesn't specify a diameter.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

are the plans available online? couldn't find them on their web site.
I'd like to build something for mine before all the dimpling starts in the next few days...

Thomas

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Thomas-The plans are on the back of the Cleaveland C-Frame instructions. I will try to scan mine in later for you.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey Bill,

I see you got the Sears compressor!

U like?

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

CJ-If you are talking about the one on my website-yes I do like it. It is very quiet. I had the salesman plug it in for me at the store and we held a normal conversation standing right next to it while it ran. It cost a lot more than the original one I purchased and returned, but it is worth it.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Thomas-I found the plans on another builder's website and saved it on mine. Let me know if you can make it out. If not, I will try to scan it in tonight. http://www.geocities.com/bmurrish/cframe.html
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

rick6a
Class G

Post by rick6a »

bmurrish wrote:Rick-Does it matter what size the hole is for the dimple die? The instructions doesn't specify a diameter.
I made the hole approximately 3/4" to accomodate the widest diameter on the assembly on the bottom of the C-frame that accepts a dimple die. I chose to make it a rather snuggish fit so that the C-frame cannot "walk" when hammered upon. However, bear in mind not all C-frames models share the exact same design. Mine was purchased through Cleaveland vintage early 2000. Check the dimension on your model C-frame before drilling that hole through the plywood but in the end is really not at all a critical issue.
Rick Galati RV-6A
N307R "Darla"

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Thomas-Did the plans I posted on my website work? I went in and redrew them in Powerpoint if you still need them. I can email the file to you if you want.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Yeah, they looked good.
Not sure if I'm gonna build exactly to specs, in the class where we had two people dimpling it was fine without any support.
I may just make something that goes on either side, is the correct height, and is covered with carpet and not worry about trying to make the hole and align things (I have the Avery c-frame and I'm not sure it is the same dimensions..

Thanks for posting that.

Thomas