Workshop Upgrade

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Flaps
Class G

Post by Flaps »

I also like Colorado Springs. I have friends there and a possible job opportunity. Take time for some hiking in the mountains up past Florrisant, you'll love it. I am taking your advice to get a grinding wheel w/ scotchbrite.
Bob Glentz
RV4 Empennage
N272RV Reserved

txaviator
Class G

Post by txaviator »

I just bought a band saw, after hacking up my two brackets I had to build for my HS on the -9. I made one real nice, and the other one looked like crap. I ordered a new stick of aluminum angle from Vans, and headed to Home Depot.

For $99, I bought an AWESOME Ryobi band saw. It even has a light on it! I then had a local shop make me up some 18 tpi blades for only $6 each. I am now in business. I have already got my money's worth out of that band saw, and I just snuck it in without the wife seeing it (I mean bought it), last week! :lol: :!:

It will be the best $99 you ever spend. I promise.

Gary
Gary Robertson
GKY- Arlington, TX
N104GR (reserved)
RV-9 (empennage in progress)

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

I am going to buy the Delta band saw tomorrow from Lowes. I would have gotten it today, but forgot my 10% off coupon. I went online an told them I moved and they emailed me a 10% off coupon. I should probably use it for something more expensive, but I am itching to get a band saw after working on my HS810 and HS 814 on my -8. The box is pretty big, any tips on sneaking it in TX?
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

BTW, get a 14 tpi blade with those saws!

It works Waaaaaaay bettah on aluminum!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Picked me up a band saw from Lowes and got a 15 tpi blade for it. Will this work good to cut the HS404 ribs? Sure seems pretty thin.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool! That should do it!!!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

I assembled the band saw with a 15 tpi blade and took it for a test drive. Cuts like a hot knife through butter.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Question: Are the bandsaws you're using otherwise used for cutting wood or are they a metal cutting specific type of saw?

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Just a plain old regular wood band saw ... in fact, I don't even have a high TPI blade for mine yet and it works great - even with the wood blade.

Thomas

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Mine is a 9" Delta band saw I got from Lowes for $97. It comes standard with a 6 tooth per inch blade. I picked up a 15 tpi blade for $5.49 and slapped it on. It takes around 45 seconds to change the blades. I had done some cutting with a hacksaw and wiss snips and the band saw is so much quicker. It is also alot cleaner. I found the wiss snips tends to curl the material. I think my next convienence tool will be a drill press. Arh, arh, arh need more tools. :) :) :)
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Bill, There is no such thing as too many tools!! :lol:
Dan

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I also picked up the 9" Delta band saw last night and its all your fault guys. That was the one tool that I kept putting off and now I have fallen. Oh well, I was getting tired of using the snips :)

Now, time to order my second screwup part of the tail. *sigh* :(
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

I hear you Spike. I really wish I would have known what I do now when I ordered my complete tool kit. There is definitely some tools I would have never gotten with it. Kind of my Main Squeeze from Cleaveland. I am sure it is a great tool and probably does work better than a regular squeezer, but I really wish I would have focused the money on a pneumatic squeezer. My next big purchase is going to be a drill press, and that's all your fault. :)
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Bill, Bill, Bill, you're a tooloholic just like the rest of us... Time to own up. Sears had a sale for craftsmens club members last month. I bought the drill press, 12 speeds, 1 hp, 5/8 chuck, laser aim, but I'm not blaming anyone for my weakness. Now get out there and make us proud!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Ok, ok, Hi my name is Bill and I'm a toolaholic. Ahh, it feels so much better just to come out and say it.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

Tim Taylor would be proud!!!! More power, more tools!!!1
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

A drill press, bench grinder, and band saws are all necessary. I actually use all of them frequently. My band saw is about 50 years old. My brother bought it at a garage sale back then. He took all the blade encloures off and added a second recduction pully to slow it down and it works like a charm. OSHA would have a fit but I am the only user so hopefully they will never come knocking. There are a lot old used tools that can be purchased for little or nothing at garage or yard sales. You might even find some bargins on eBay.