Air Drill?

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Air Drill?

Post by cjensen »

there has been a lot of talk on the VAF forum over the last couple of days concerning the use of an air drill vs. electric corded/cordless. i have an air drill, and have yet to use it. i've been using a corded electric drill up to this point that spins to 1200rpm. it has worked well, but i have been thinking about how real the dangers are in using a corded drill while working with metal. now, i also have a cordless drill that only spins to 700 rpm. i know that the higher speeds are better for aluminum and quality of hole issues. with the pre-punched kits, is 700 rpm enough?

the reason i haven't used the air drill (1800rpm), is that i'm not sure if my compressor will keep up. i guess i need to give it a try.

so, what are you using?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Chad,

Jim Robinette just left and asked me what I have been using too! Funny, isn't it?

I think that airplane building is a tradition and the air drills have always been a part of it. I have a cheap ass Home Friggin' Depot air drill that makes a wicked cool Whiirrrrrr sound like a nice Sioux drill, only louder.

I use the pneumatic for huge repetitive drilling projects that don't require much moving around the shop.

I think the shock hazard was a bigger problem back in the day, as rubbers and plastics were not as good a quality back then.

Quite frankly, for a hole here and there (which seems to be most holes lately) I am prone to whip out the DeWalt cordless and fire away!

The DeWalt works EXCEPTIONALLY well with the microstop countersink, as I think it cuts better and is more controllable at slower speeds which are produced by the DeWalt.

Yes, one day I will buy a Sioux. I just love the cool sound it makes!

Maybe when I am rich and famous?

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Air Drill?

Post by Spike »

I use the air drill. To me the benefit is not only the higher RPM, but lightness. Holding a corded or cordless electric drill fatigues my hand faster. The air gives you better control and really does not use that much air.

-- John

Submitted via email