3 phase to single?

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

Well it worked CCW (counterclock wise), but when I changed the wiring to CW (clockwise) exactly according to the diagram on the motor, sparks flew and the breaker popped. I rechecked the wiring, which was OK, but now the motor will barely turn with the power on in either direction (CCW or CW). Not sure if I smoked something.

Not really sure where to go next. It worked great CCW. I used L1 & L2, and ran the third wire all the way thru to the motor box for ground (bypassing the switch) and connecting it to the neutral on the plug end.

(p.s. my pics have disappeared on the board.....trouble on every hand.....) :cry:
Duane Cole T-cart 0-320 Full Inverted

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, what color was the smoke? That right there is what you are really paying for! Once the smoke comes out, you can never really get it back in!

Serioisly, I expect that your problem lies inside the motor connection box. It is typically called the "peckerhead" no kidding! Your field connections were probably wrong.

Recheck them and hope you didn't toast your motor.

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

hngrflyr wrote:You can buy a frequency drive that will convert single phase power to three phase. I just happen to have one I might be ready to sell. It is rated for a 3 hp motor. It has a manual that tells how to hook it up.
Hey Bob, what are you asking for the inverter?

CJ, it was tie-dye colored smoke, no but seriously, I was standing on the switch side and only saw sparks. Not really smoke. Good thing though, because otherwise the hippies around here would probably have all gathered around. :grouphug:

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

I just went over and rechecked everything again. And it doesn't matter which way I wire it, CCW or CW, with both wiring patterns the motor turns CCW at about 1 revolution per second (really slow) and makes a Waa..Waa...Waa...Waa sound. (Maybe it has something to do with smoke and Indians?) :headscratch:

The first time I hooked it up CCW (counter-clockwise) it ran fine and at full speed, but after the sparks, now Waa..Waa..Waa. and barely moves. Condensor blown (Condensor is hooked to T5)? Here's the wiring diagram on the motor, you just swap the T5 and T8's for CW/ CCW

High Voltage
CCW
T1----------Line 1

T4----------Line 2
T5---|

T2----|
T3----|
T8----|

CW
T1----------Line 1

T4----------Line 2
T8---|

T2----|
T3----|
T5----|

ps. After this I promise to let the thread die until I resolve it.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I would need to look at the motor and the diagram. There are just too many variables involved. It undoubtedly is a connection i the motor that is the problem. Did you buy the motor new? If so, bring it back to where you got it. Get another one. I am sure it is toast after the light show.

You can try other wiring combinations, but I doubt you will get the thing going in an adequate fashion. The capacitor usually would blow from load. Voltage normally doesn't affect them.

I dunno?

:( CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!