Dressing a scotchbrite wheel

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Dressing a scotchbrite wheel

Post by Spike »

Anyone have any recommendations on how to dress a scotchbrite wheel mounted on a bench grinder? Im starting to get a bunch of gouges on the outer edge of mine as I work through cleaning up stiffeners and such. I had a dressing tool that came with the grider but the stupid scotchbrite wheel keeps winning the battle with it. :bang:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i've wondered the same thing. seems like the grinding wheel will grind anything, then take the grinding wheel and put it on a scotchbrite wheel, voila grinding wheel gets gouged! no, i haven't tried this, but scotchbrite is one tough piece of material!!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Marine
Class G

Post by Marine »

I have a cheap grinder from Harbor Freight. I took one of the blue grinding wheels that came with it and used the flat side to dress the wheel. In 5 min or so Ican make the scotchbrite wheel flat again.

PJ

johnk
Class E

Post by johnk »

I have tried an old file and an old chisel with partial success. The wheel came out better than it was, but not nearly as good as when new. Also, I have several scothbrite wheels in various diameters, and it seems that none of them were perfectly round, or had perfectly centered holes, when new.

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

Well, I googled for this and it seems 3M makes a dressing tool for Scotchbrite wheels, but I don't know who might distribute them.

"3M™ Dressing & Shaping Products:
Aluminum oxide, grade 36, resin-bonded mineral with an adhesive-backing used to dress Scotch-Brite™ wide brushes and wheels."

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Sounds like course cloth backed sandpaper.

Thermos
Class D

Re: Dressing a scotchbrite wheel

Post by Thermos »

Spike wrote:Anyone have any recommendations on how to dress a scotchbrite wheel mounted on a bench grinder?
Spike,

I came across a post from someone at Cleaveland Tool that recommended using 40-grit aluminum oxide sandpaper to dress out a scotchbrite wheel. I got some of that, adhesive-backed, and put it on a small piece of 2x4. Seems to work ok, but it will make a mess...and a respirator is manadatory!

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I use one of the smaller scotchbrite wheels on an angle die grinder and spin them in oposite directions against each other. It smooths them both out at the same time. :thumbsup:
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

acfttools
Class G

Dressing Stones

Post by acfttools »

They make dressing stones to dress aluminum oxide and other types of grinding wheels. Our experience is that they work very well on the scotchbrite wheels and are very inexpensive, i.e., $7.50 range.