duck tape

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Build9a
Class G

duck tape

Post by Build9a »

There's another great tool for assisting with the attachment of washers and nuts in hard to reach places. You'll find about 10-15 of these hard to reach suckers. DUCK TAPE. I put duck tape on the end of my index finger, inside out, stuck the washer on the tip, and blindly felt for the bolt, then slid the washer on. Same process with the nut, except you hold it in place untill you get a couple of turns on it. There are a bunch of places where you can't get two fingers on the bolt. Also, when you drop the washer or nut you can just stick your finger on it and pick it up out of hard to reach places, which is where they ALWAYS land. :lol: :good job:

Don P.

Duct Tape

Post by Don P. »

More uses for Duct tape: Pack a socket with tape so that the bolt or nut fits tightly this if done correctly can hold a bolt inverted without assistance. Also tape a universal joint socket adapter to firmit up somewhat. They sell ones with a spring on them but this works just as well. Super Glue a small washer and nut in place prior to assembly and if you are careful you can blind start the thread. RTV or silicone works good for this also and gives some play if perfect alignment is not possible. A nice trick for wiring prior to final assembly and works for some finish areas is to use RTV or silicone to place your wiring. They routinely do this in boat manufacturing it saves time and can be changed without drilling holes for tie blocks or brackets. I hope this helps someone in a difficult situation. Don P.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Great tips Don! Thanx :thumbsup:

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl