Compressor sound box

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Compressor sound box

Post by cjensen »

that thing is LOUD!! i knew it would be though when i bought it. it's actually not too bad out in the open, but in the shop, it echos and bounces off the walls! so, i decided to build an insulated box around it in the corner of my shop this weekend.

here's the access to the pressure regulator...

and i built it 5 or so inches off the floor to allow air movement and tank draining.

when it gets warmer out, i'm gonna install a thermometer in there to check the interior temp just to make sure i have enough air moving around in there.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That is cool, Chad!

Did you install any compressed foam on the inside? I wonder if it makes any difference?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I did a very similar thing, and put compressed foam (the blue stuff from Lowes) on the insides. I built mine all the way to the floor and made another door to access the drain. It is in the basement, with pretty uniform temps; when the compressor is running a lot it gets warm in there but not too warm.
It helps the noise a decent bit, but is still pretty noisy. The new shop has a dedicated room for the compressor with 2x8" insulated walls for noise (it used to be a bathroom but plumbing has been gone from the building for >50 years. I should post a pic of the toilet ... a true antique!)

Thomas
-8 wings

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i thought about using compressed foam, but i felt like the soft foam pads (eggshell foam) would "absorb" the sound waves better (seemed like compressed foam would "bounce" them around more :?). i have no idea, it was just a feeling. i doubt it would make much difference though...the sharp high frequency waves are hard to contain however you look at it.

i'm not too worried about the temp inside since there is a lot of open air area inside, but i'm curious to see what it will be like inside when it's 90 degrees outside. :o
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com