Spring loaded squeezer button??

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
prestwich
Class D

Spring loaded squeezer button??

Post by prestwich »

What the heck is this thing for? :?

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

That's the thing that helps pull the skin and spars together ............................................ :) just kidding.

aparchment
Class C

hmmmm

Post by aparchment »

darn good question.

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

It is a very nice deburred, radiused and polished bit of technical dodad.
:lol:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

On mine, it's not spring loaded. :? I believe it's supposed to be a safety, kind of like a gun. Won't let the plunger move when air is released. At least that's what I think mine does... :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

My Pneu squeezer doesn't have one of those. Of course I bought it used and it is probably a gazillion rivets old and made before OSHA got involved with everything.

One thing I would recommned you invest in is a set of quick change pins for the squeezer. Very handy deal, change yokes in about 30 seconds. They are pretty cheap also. I got mine from Cleaveland Tool.

Wow, I was a lot of help wasn't I? :wink:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

JohnR wrote:

Wow, I was a lot of help wasn't I? :wink:
Well, yeah, actually. :idea: Quick change yoke pins? Nobody ever tells me nothin'. :cry: No wonder this durn airplane is takin' so long. :bang:

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

prestwich wrote: Well, yeah, actually. :idea: Quick change yoke pins? Nobody ever tells me nothin'. :cry: No wonder this durn airplane is takin' so long. :bang:
Check them out at http://cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo ... mber=SQP20

Another nice item is the adjustable set, maybe yo ualready have one of those but sure makes changing depth quicker for me. Cleaveland Tool has them also. They are a little more $$ though.

http://cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo ... er=SNSHA45
JohnR

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

The adjustable set is well worth the dough though! I didn't think it would be, but bought one anyway. Sure glad I did! Don't have the QC pins though.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

On mine that button changes the travel of the plunger ... IOW, in one position the plunger doesn't retract as far as in the other.
I use it when dimpling so that the dies don't get as far apart between each hole.

Thomas
-8 wings

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

I've really been waffling on the adjustable set idea. At first it seemed pretty important, but now I'm thinking that the shim washers might actually be better. Of course I'm hardly qualified to judge that since I haven't tried the adjustable!

I had planned to get the adjustable set from Fred at Clear Air, but he wanted to custom fit it to my squeezer, and I didn't want to part with the squeezer for a week or more. Then I got enough "shim time" in that I more or less decided to skip the adjustable. For this week, anyway, that's what I'm thinking. I've been known to change my mind on occassion.

But, I do like the quick change yoke pins, and will likely pick up a pair.

The silly button doesn't do a dang thing on my squeezer, as far as I can see. I look down in there when the yoke is off, and it isn't connected to anything. Just a spring that keeps it moved to one side unless you push on it, but pushing on it doesn't do anything.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jon, I have no idea what the button does. Mine doesn't have one either.

But, send you squeezer to Fred. He did mine and it is GREAT! He will outfit it with everything you need AND tell you what the button does. Then, you can tell us and we will need to buy new ones WITH the button!

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

acfttools
Class G

Stroke Limiter

Post by acfttools »

On older pneumatic squeezers Chicago Pneumatic installed a stroke limiter (short stroke pin) as someone has referred to above. It limited the return of the set holder. It's for use in a production environment where they were squeezing thousands of the same rivets on a part. Once you set the tool up for the job you never had to change it. Also saved you a few seconds per rivet by not having the set holder retract all the way.

They no longer make the limiter or parts for it. It has the ability to be problematic. When we rebuild the squeezers with this feature we disable the latch & leave the pin in for cosmetic purposes. Most companies just remove the entire assembly, regardless of whether or not it's still functional. Therefore, you might see some squeezers with a big hole there. Does not affect the operation of the squeezer either way you do it.

You can tell all your buddies that it automatically adjusts the stroke to the length of the rivet & sit back & watch while they search high & low for one :).

Blue Skies!

prestwich
Class D

Re: Stroke Limiter

Post by prestwich »

acfttools wrote:On older pneumatic squeezers Chicago Pneumatic installed a stroke limiter (short stroke pin) as someone has referred to above. <snip>

Blue Skies!
Ah, Thank You!

Thomas, looks like you've got the only stock squeezer around here! I hope that feature isn't "problematic" on yours. It seems like a good idea to me. The most difficult part of squeezing for me has been fine tuning my thumb to bring that plunger up s-l-o-w-l-y while I verify alignment.

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I got mine used / refurbished from the Yard and it has been (knock on wood) trouble free so far...

Thomas
-8 wings

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Mine too...would buy from the Yard anytime! :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

tshort wrote:I got mine used / refurbished from the Yard and it has been (knock on wood) trouble free so far...

Thomas
-8 wings
Boy, the Yard (http://www.yardstore.com/) must be the place to go!

Mine came from there also. Good service and even better pricing. I'll give them a big thumbs up also. :thumbsup:
JohnR