shop made c-frame press

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Philip Cobbin
Class G

shop made c-frame press

Post by Philip Cobbin »

Here's an early photo of my c-frame press. The rule in front of it is a 24" rule so you can get an idea of the heft of this critter. It's made out of 2x2 square pipe (1/4 inch wall thickness) and is very stout. The double pillar arrangement versus usage of a weldment to form the "C" is very strong. The final form of the press has the raised plate for the lower die removed and the front of the frame is recessed at a 45 degree angle to allow for dimpling those pesky last holes all the way up front on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer and vertical stabilizer.

dirtmanf800
Class G

Post by dirtmanf800 »

I am planning to build the DRDT-2 frame myself and am wondering if there would be an advantage to building it with a deeper throat. Are there places on the -9A that can't be reached with the normal c-frame depth ?

Cobbin@cobbin.com

Shop built c-frame press.

Post by Cobbin@cobbin.com »

I'm not sure about the 9 but the extra throat sure helped it seemed on the 7. Also the 45 degree relief under the bottom section is key to getting "up close" on the leading edge holes for the horizontal stab. etc. The main advantage of the two pillar design seems to be extra rigidity.

Good luck

Phil Cobbin

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Phil,

What is the base made of? Looks like solid iron from the pic. Interesting alternative to purchasing one. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you in materials to fabricate this?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

cobbin@cobbin.com

Material used for shop made c-frame press....

Post by cobbin@cobbin.com »

The press was made from a section of channel iron 10 or 11 inch for the base. The arm is 2 inch square steel tubing with 1/4 inch wall thickness and the head is a about 2x2x2 with a 1/2 hole reamed through it. The pillars are about 2 inch in diameter and drilled to accept 1/2 bolts or allthread stock. Most of the iron I had laying around. I bought some 2 inch square pipe. Probably cost a whole $20 bucks and boy can it dimple!