Which tool kit to order?

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
lancef53
Class D

Which tool kit to order?

Post by lancef53 »

I am just starting this, so I was wondering which tool kit seems like the best compromise? Is the quality on the main tool kit sellers close to the same?

I am planning on building an 8, just not sure on the standard or quickbuild, and have a shop with about every tool except for riviting tools.

It seems like the prices are all over the board, and the pieces included vary a bunch also.

Sorry for the broad question, just a little confused.

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I've bought most of my tools from Avery Tools and a few from Cleavland that Avery doesn't have. Both have high quality products and service. A lot of people also like Plane Tools.

http://www.averytools.com/
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/
http://www.planetools.com/

I happen to like tools, so eventhough I bought the full RV Tool Kit from Avery, I have likely bought just as much or more since, and found there are very few things I haven't used, but like I said, I like tools.

If you already have a lot of the tools in the RV Tool Kits, use it as a guide and buy what you don't have. Once you are into building you will be making several more tool purchases :-).
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

In North Dakota I think I would go with Cleaveland. They are in Iowa and almost always ship the same day that you order. I order some reamers and bits yesterday afternoon and they got here this morning. Avery is good also but it usually takes a few days for stuff to get here.

You can't go wrong with either of those two in my opinion. I don't know anything about planetools so can't comment there.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

Bob Barrett
Class C

Sometimes You can buy used tools

Post by Bob Barrett »

Stick with Cleveland or Avery. Cleveland is very fast service. I am in MN but grew up in North Dakota. I lived in Linton, Minnewaukan, and Fargo before moving here.

I was able to purchase a lot of my tools from a builder who had just finished building an RV-6A. That is what I am building. You usually need to buy a good airdrill, and new aircraft bits. I have only purchased #10, #12, #19, #30, and #40. I have them 10 inch length one of each of the #30 & #40. I have purchased many of the #30 #40 in packages from Cleveland. You will also need dimple dies for both 3/32" & 1/8" rivets and #6 & #8 screws. You will need indexed drill bits but mine are not aircraft.

You will need at least two cleco pliers and 3/32" and 1/8" clecos. Again you can frequently purchased them used for about half price from a builder who has completed building. You will need a good aircraft type rivet gun the Menards ones don't cut it. You will also need a hand rivet squeezer and I have a used punematic squeezer that I wouldn't be with out. I have a Sears 1" belt and disc sander combination that I have used alot. You will also need to good aircraft buffing wheels both Avery and Clevland and Van's have good ones. I have an old band saw that was meant for wood but was geared down for sawing metal and I wouldn't be without it. You will also need good aluminum snips.

Good luck!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Get yourself the lightest weight, fastest turning drill you can find. It's amazing how tired your arm will get lugging that drill motor around. Get the light weight hose kit too. They are sold by a couple different companies but the combo of the light drill and the light hose will save a lot of wear and tear on the arms.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Thanks for the info, That is exactly the specifics I was hoping to get.

I am from Mayville Portland, My old SS teacher came from linton in the late 70's--early 80's. Small world.

I have a neighbor who finished a -3 a couple of years ago, I will check with him first.

Thanks--Lance

edit--is the alligator riveter or the C head better for these kits?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Everyone uses the C-Yoke ones for better versatility.

The interchangeability of the yokes is HUGE!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Bob Barrett
Class C

Angle Drill

Post by Bob Barrett »

Sooner or later you will need an angle drill. You can probably wait until you are working on the fuselage for that. Get the expensive $110.00 one and you will need the special drill bits for it. It may pay to buy the kit I see Avery in 2006 listed it for $145 drill and bits that you will need. You also will need some unibits. Again Avery sells three of them for $55 which is what the largest one sells for most places. I don't have a Cleveland catolog in the house so that is why you are getting Avery quotes. Cleveland prices are usually very similiar to Avery and they are excellant to deal with and stand behind their products. I am sure Avery does also.

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

Go to Oshkosh and pick up the deals. Last year I bought tools at Sun 'n' Fun and saved enough to pay for the plane ticket. 8) (Don't try to carry on your tools on the flight back!) I scored a great deal on a pneumatic sqeeze, countersinks, and drill bits on ebay.

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I bought my initial kit from Isham (planetools.com). They're a little pricier than some of the other kits, but you get all the goodies (DRDT and pneumo squeezer, out of the box). If you figure that you're gonna end up buying those two items eventually anyway, they end up significantly cheaper. Plus, they have phenomenal customer service, just like I've heard about all the other major tool guys.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!