Purchasing an angle drill

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
CalKid
Class G

Purchasing an angle drill

Post by CalKid »

Working on the tail of a 7 - prepunched. It is suggested that an angle drill would be helpful. Getting ready to drill the "dreaded" (new builder) HS405-702/710/714-404 holes. Have to admit I am intimidated by this step since you are drilling through so much aluminum spars, etc. Plans say that an angle drill is prefered. Will I need an angle for this and other jobs and if so, is there a prefered tool? Cleveland has several ranging from $159 to $450. As I look at the picts., catalog, unsure as to how the air line fits to the drills or do you have to buy an attachment that is not listed. Also regarding this step, if I read the plans correctly, it is stated that you drill from aft to forward 405 - 702 to 404. Plenty of angst out there from new builders concerning hole clearance on the aft 404 flanges. Seems to me that if you drill the pilot holes from the 404 aft you avoid any clearance issues at least on the 404s. Also, what is a respectable pilot bit dia when your final hole is a #40? Thanks in advance

Kid

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

CK, you're following a long line of builders that had the same concerns as you are having with that part...do it and move on buddy! There's PLENTY of BIGGER worries down the road! :wink: I don't say that to make you weary, but I know EXACTLY how you feel, and many others do too!

As far as an angle drill goes...I borrowed one from my bud Carl (cnpeters on here) for a long time. His is the Avery one that ran something like $135. It's a GREAT working tool, and has a small 'head' on it to get in to tighter spaces.

That being said, I have recently gone the el cheapo route with an angle drill, and bought a keyless chuck one from Harbor Freight for $12. It chucks right in to my other drills, and has worked flawlessly so far. Sometimes you get lucky with the cheap stuff, and other times, well, sometimes you spend the big dough for the good stuff...

Hope that helps! Please keep the questions coming...we're all nice here! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Yup, everybody goes through the same questions in that area, measure a few times, make sharpie marks, and make sure it makes sense and drill away. If you haven't seen this thread, have a look at:
http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/for ... hlight=405

I have found the Avery type angle drill useful in a few spots so far, but I have to admit I haven't used that often for drilling. I do use it for holding my debur tool when doing the inside flanges.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Bob Barrett
Class C

Angle Drill

Post by Bob Barrett »

Purchase a good quaility Angle Drill from Cleveland or Avery. The $135 one is adequate but you may be ahead to get the kit which gives you the special drill bits needed. You will still have order replacements bits when you break one or it gets to dull. I have angle bits #40, 30, 19, 12, 10. There are both long and short versions and I have used both in the #40 and #30 bits. I believe, that I only have the long version of the larger sizes. When you get to drilling holes behind the instrument panel you will really value a good angle drill. Especailly when you need to to some retro-work after the airplane is flying. I will keep my angle drill just for maintenance. I think it would be valuable for some other household and automotive projects. Plastic ones may work long enough to build your airplane but will probably wear out about the time you need it the worst one the plane is airborne.

Power is supplied by chucking it in your air drill or an electrice or cordless drill.

I dont have a deburing tool that I can use in my angle drill or I don't think I do. I have never tried putting it in my angle drill if that fits I will be really :bang: To soon old to late smart! Although I am old no-body has accused me of being smart! I will be tring that tomorrow first think in the work shop. Of course I hopefully am close to done deburring holes. :)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I spent a decent amount of money for a good angle drill, and then it sat for months unused. The first time I needed it though it was worth every penny. Get one and you won't regret it.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Here is how I make use of the angle drill attachment for deburring. I start with the standard tool, remove the bit, put it in the angle attachment, and turn it by hand with a short length of tube on the end of the shaft. I also use just the tubing on the end of the deburring bit a lot more than with the real handle.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Bob Barrett
Class C

Angle Drill & Deburring Works Great!

Post by Bob Barrett »

Thanks Don. I didn't get a chace to work on my airplane yesterday but the first thing I did today was try my deburring tip in the Angle Drill. It works great! I hadn't thought of the tube which also would work great. I have used a 1/4" nut in my quarter inch socket set but that usually is to long in tight places. I am probably done deburring on my airplane now but if have to do it in tight places I sure have two excellant new waysl