Band saw

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
CalKid
Class G

Band saw

Post by CalKid »

Will a standard single speed band saw i.e. Ryobi 9" with wood cutting blade work for cutting aluminum? If not, what elce is recommended?

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Do ya really need one?

Post by bullojm1 »

I would save my money and not get a band saw. I don't have one, and have only needed one once thus far - for trimming control stick brackets. Most everything can be done with a cut off wheel in a die grinder or a hacksaw bwith a good blade. For me, my shop space is too valuable to have a band saw sitting around wastin' space! Find a friend with one and bribe him with beer and steak to use it for the few times you will need it!

If you are convinced you need one, check out the tools section on Craigslist.com. Every now and then you see a great deal.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Mike, I was just going to type the exact same thing!

I have been getting by just fine with a hacksaw and a sawzall. The bandsaw is a waste of space IMHO.

I know that SOMEONE will pipe up now and tell us just how INDISPENSABLE it is!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

captain_john wrote: I know that SOMEONE will pipe up now and tell us just how INDISPENSABLE it is!

That someone must be caught in California traffic right about now! :evil:
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well, I have one, but I wouldn't say it's indispensable. I use it a lot, but just this week, my blade broke on the weld (it's being fixed by the guys at Carbide.com...they garauntee their welds), and I've been getting by just fine. I've had to fab several little things this week that would've been cake with the bandsaw, but I'm workin' it out with the hacksaw and cutoff wheels.

IF you have the space, and an extra $100, I'd get one, but it ain't necessary. :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

A standard woodcutting band saw with a fourteen or so tooth per inch blade will work great but don't try using a standard wood blade (four or five tooth per inch); you'll snap the band in two. To answer the question.

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

captain_john wrote:I know that SOMEONE will pipe up now and tell us just how INDISPENSABLE it is!
HA! LMAO!!! The ironic thing is, I was going to keep my mount shut until I saw your comment. I guess that's what I get "mystery man". :mrgreen:

Actually, I'd pretty much second everything Chad said.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I have one with a metal blade. Honestly, I love it. It has made cutting things like stiffeners are real snap. If you want one you wont be sorry you got it.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

I use mine, and like it, but find myself in the "could live without it" camp.

Especially since I just moved it to the new house and it was covered in alumnum dust and heavy (like all the bench tools were) :oops:

Not a bad way to spend an extra $100 IMO.

Joe

PS. Spike, I just noticed the "Lindy Bound" signature line...setting that bar kinda low, aren't you? :)
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I use mine to cut things rather than snips, a hacksaw, or cutoff wheel. I find I can do a better job and much faster, especially when compared to snips. While I don't use a lot, I do use it more than my belt sander, and I would not be without that. I do not regret getting a bandsaw with a better blade for metal, even in my 10 x 20 shop.

There is really no end to the 'extra' tools you can buy and make things easier, better, and faster, but just about anything can be done without the fancy and extra things, just a matter of choice (and resources).
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

RV8or wrote: PS. Spike, I just noticed the "Lindy Bound" signature line...setting that bar kinda low, aren't you? :)
Yeah well, im a busy person you know. Don't have the time to invest that I would like. Id be happy to just get a hat commemorating the completion ... :)
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I had one before beginning the project. I use it ALL THE TIME. I'm not a big fan of tin snips :P

bandsaw makes some of the fabrication a lot quicker and easier, especially cutting those THICK tank attach angles.

Definitely not indispensable, but very handy nonetheless.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

I find that my 14" band saw and 12" disk sander are some of my most used tools. I use the band saw for just about all metal cutting for anything thicker than .032 and do most of my shaping with the sander. I consider it close to indispensable.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

A bandsaw shouldn't have any issues cutting through stainless steel tubing with the proper blade, correct?
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

yeah, it'll do it. Depending on the wall thickness it may take a while and dull your blade, but it'll do it.

I was cutting 0.063" wall 1" cromoly tubing the other day and it did fine, just kinda slowly as compared to cutting aluminum.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

I got a Ryobi 9 inch. the blade is 59 inches long and I found one with 18 teeth per inch. It was an absolute pleasure to use BUT i busted the blade and I can't find anyone with another one. Home Depot carries these here in Canada but only the 15 teeth per inch. Any ideas where I can get a new 18 teeth/inch blade?? Thanks G

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I found a bandsaw blade at our local OSH/Sears. They had 18 TPI blades there. You could probably find one online if you google it. I have a bandsaw and I like it. I just wish I had one with a deeper cutting throat.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Scott Thanks you are right on the money. I hit the local Sears here this morning but no luck and did the google also but I will direct my search to Sears and see what comes up. I love thatt 18tpi. Cheers G

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Gary, just for a data point, I've used only 14TPI blades from Carbide.com for the last three years, and they are WONDERFUL! I use one blade per year, and they are about $15 shipped (US). 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I got my blades at RONA (Canadian copy of Home Depot).
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)