Torque Wrenches

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Craig Schwartz
Class G

Torque Wrenches

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Hi guys,

I need to buy a torque wrench and I'm looking for any reviews. I'm trying to decide between a dial type wrench, or the micrometer adjustment click type. I tried one of the latter type wrenches from Harbor Freight and it tore a bolt in two when at the lowest setting. I'm now thinking of a CDI wrench from Avery. Does anyone have any advice on what to buy and where to buy it?

Thanks,

Craig Schwartz
Endlessly prepping Wing Ribs

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Sounds like you made the same mistake I did. Harbor Freight is okay for non important things but you need to spend some bucks for a good torque wrench. :(
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah... TW's are delicate instruments. This is one place where you need to throw money at the project. I haven't purchased a 1/4" one yet, but when I do, it will be Proto, Snap On, Craftsman, or Cornwell.

I plan to get the screwdriver style and to have the average setting around 25 in lbs so it will tend to be more precise. I have seen the ones that go from 25 - 250 in lbs. and I just don't have faith that they will accurately measure to the lower reading.

Fortunately for me I have some friends with nice tools, so I may put off the purchase even longer.

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Just now getting to this post-

I have a Pittsburg Tools 0-200 in-lb TW. Never really heard of this company, but I just came across it on ebay, and bought it.

So, Pittsburg Tools???

:?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

Pittsburg is Harbor Freight's brand. Mostly low cost, low quality stuff. I use their long pins punch sets because they're cheap. They are poor quality. When they get messed up I throw them away and get new ones. I personally opt for high quality tools most of the time. If you ever have a tool failure at a critical moment, you tend to appreciate quality stuff. About 30 years ago, I threw two complete socket sets in the garbage due to a couple of failures that cost me half a day on a job.

Bobby S

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well, I paid next to nothin for it, so I am not out anything. That's what I figured.

Thanks.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Beezapilot

Post by Beezapilot »

When it comes to torque wrenches, bite the bullet, get a good set and it lasts you forever. Snap-on has the Tech-wrench series that has a digital readout and is exceptionally accurate as there is no inertia when you "click" past the desired torque. So you set it a little high and watch the readout until the desired spec is reached.

I've little faith in in-expensive tools. On the motorcycles I wrench on there is a torqe spec for 3nm + 45degrees, these are aluminum fasteners going into a magnesium housing... the margin for error is nil.

Cheapo torque wrenchs are suicide, both for reliability and quality of work

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

One of the guys I work with has a $SET$ of Snap On torque wrench's, which he just told me I can borrow anytime. Good deal! I'll probably end up buying one, 'cuz I like to have my own stuff, but it's a nice offer anyway that'll get me by in a pinch.

I haven't used the el cheapo Pittsburg, and don't plan to.

Thanks for helping with this!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

rowd
Class G

Post by rowd »

how much use is a torque wrench going to get in the construction of the average RV ? eg) approx how many bolts need tightening to a specific torque value ?
Thanks

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

You need a GOOD torque wrench to work on any airplane, not just an RV. So, just buy a good one and you won't be sorry. They are as necessary as the socket set that they drive. There are lots of nuts and bolts to torque to spec on the RV. Even if you just work on your engine, you need a torque wrench. I remember buying mine while I was bolting up the exhaust system on my Cessna 180. Consider how much it would cost to strip out just one exhaust bolt hole on an O-470 jug?!?!?! Just pulling the cylinder off to repair it will make the torque wrench price seem cheap!

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

jlfernan
Class G

Post by jlfernan »

Go for the Proto dial type.
Jorge Fernandez
N214JL(Reserved)
9A QB

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

I have a mate that has a Snap-On digital type torque wrench. It beeps as well as vibrates when you get to the set torque. I like it and keep trying to walk out of the hanger with it. He watches me everytime I leave the bugger!! :P
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Now that is funny.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

Yeah, Pittsburgh is a HF brand, like central pneumatic, but before writing it off, do a calibration test. I just finished reviewing many posts on VAF etc., and some of the cheapos were actually OK, some substantially off. While you will always be assured with a $200+ snap-on, check yours out (easiest way is to cross check against the snap-ons at work as opposed to weights hanging from set distances).
cjensen wrote:One of the guys I work with has a $SET$ of Snap On torque wrench's, which he just told me I can borrow anytime. Good deal! I'll probably end up buying one, 'cuz I like to have my own stuff, but it's a nice offer anyway that'll get me by in a pinch.

I haven't used the el cheapo Pittsburg, and don't plan to.

Thanks for helping with this!
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

I bought one from Cleaveland Tool.

https://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/pro ... ?number=WT

It wasn't cheap but it came with a calibration printout. It also says "a Snap-On company" on the paper work. IT was cheaper tha nthe $nap On and I hink it will work well for my needs.

I'm still having trouble adjusting to the low torque settings. I know they are correct but they just don't seem high enough when compared to motorcycles, etc. I am adjusting slowly though. :o
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee