Stupid torque wrench questions

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
RVNewsletter
Class D

Stupid torque wrench questions

Post by RVNewsletter »

Yes, I know I'm embarrassing myself for even asking but I have to:

Is 7 foot pounds of torque equivalent to 84 inch pounds of torque?

I ask because -- if memory serves -- the nose gear bolt through the wheel is to be torqued to 7-10 foot pounds and I want to be sure I can use my inch-pound wrench for that.

Yes, I'm stupid.

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

Yep. Arithmetic even applies to torque.

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

it's not a stupid question! Not everything converts linearly like that, and it's not always obvious. In this case it works that way, because you're only converting the pounds to feet, but if you try to do something like lb/ft to oz/in, you gotta convert both terms. lb/ft = 16oz/12in, so you have to scale by 12/16 or 3/4.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

RVNewsletter
Class D

Post by RVNewsletter »

Thanks, everybody! That's a big help.

So the good news is that I don't have to buy (at least right now) a new torque wrench.

The bad news is I have one less excuse to get out of this post-long-weekend funk by sneaking out of work and going up to the (very good) Sears hardware store up the street. :)

smittysrv
Class D

Post by smittysrv »

Here's a conversion thingie:

http://www.srtorque.com/torqcon/tcfp.html

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

depending on your level of tool obsession, you may want to skip the sears torque wrench. I've been lusting over a snapon digital torque wrench for a long while, but they're INSANELY expensive.

Well, turns out you can get them here: http://www.cditorque.com/main.html

CDI makes them for snap-on, they're the same wrenches with the same warranty, but different name stamped on it. They're less than half the price of the snap-on ones.

These torque wrenches are far nicer than the sears ones, and they're legal to use on airplanes (not that it matters for our stuff, but having nice tools is nice!)
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

Thermos
Class D

Re: Stupid torque wrench questions

Post by Thermos »

RVNewsletter wrote:Yes, I know I'm embarrassing myself for even asking but I have to: Is 7 foot pounds of torque equivalent to 84 inch pounds of torque?
Don't be embarrassed Bob, I've asked A&Ps the same question. It's amazing how the things that seem obvious at first glance, often aren't.

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

tmbg wrote:depending on your level of tool obsession, you may want to skip the sears torque wrench. I've been lusting over a snapon digital torque wrench for a long while, but they're INSANELY expensive.
I'd never even used a torque wrench before starting my kit, so I don't know what I missed, because I bought a SnapOn digital back when I was flush with tool funds.

I can't express in words how very freakin' cool this thing is! Set it and forget it. You don't have to look at the display while using it, 'cause it will beep at you as you get close to the set value, and then chirp as you get right on it. It's a thing of beauty and wonder!
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!