Workshop Tips

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
malvernridge
Class G

Workshop Tips

Post by malvernridge »

Hi,

This may help all raw rivetbanging recruits like myself.

Can we have a topic for workshop tips please? My appologies if I have missed it already.

I am currently preparing my workshop ready to start building this year. While I am waiting, I would like to build some of those jigy thingy's I see that builders have in their workshops. I have looked around and have found sound advice about benches and tools etc. But I bet the experienced guys have learned one or two tricks they could share with us.

For instance, I realise that the RV7 kit comes pre-drill but I would like to make the jig for the wings. This will save me time later. It looks very handy being able to have the wings upright while they are being worked on. If someone could post some details I could start making one. It looks fairly simple but I need some dimensions. I would hate to build it too short!

So come on my new rivetbanging geezers, how about some nice workshop tips. Try to keep em clean!!

Rob :grouphug:
This forum is the sharpest tool in the box! I'm off to the workshop with the advice. Soon to be a rivetbasher myself.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

You are singin' my tune. I just built my garage/shop specifically for the production of the RV-7, of which I am just beginning the Wing assembly.

I built it with a 24'x28' footprint, 10' walls, a loft and a 8'x16' garage door. It has heat, A/C and a HUGE tele (as you call it)!

This is the floor after applying an epoxy:

..and I got a good sized compressor

The HS Jig spanned 12', but it needn't have been that long. It was just simpler for me to erect that way.

I have made some EAA 1000 worktables and am currently reconfiguring the jig area to accomodate both wings being assembled simultaneously. I will post pics when completed.

Hope this helps!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

I said it before when you showed these photos. You LUCKY LUCKY BASTARD!!!!!! I want one, I want it, I want it, I want it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

malvernridge
Class G

Workshop tips

Post by malvernridge »

Thanks CJ,

Your workshop is very neat and tidy, nice one :thumbsup: . You will certainly be comfortable in there. You obviously have high standards, if you build the RV to those standards you will have a winner for sure.

The tip you gave for the jig is exactly what I'm after. I already have the workshop but I am about to build the benches and buy the tools so you are ahead of my game. I would be most greatful if you let me know the dimensions of your new jig. I'm not after detailed drawings just length, height and width of the cross member will be fine.

I have just had a thought, did I see your workshop on Home and Leisure with Norm Abraham in it? If not i'm sure he would want to be.

Snap, my sentiments exactly!

Rob
This forum is the sharpest tool in the box! I'm off to the workshop with the advice. Soon to be a rivetbasher myself.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

WOW, Norm Abrahms is known on the other side of the pond too. That dude is amazing.

Rob, did you try the search feature of the forum? Click on the Search option near the top of the page and enter workshop, or whatever and there should be some more information that it returns. I know we were talking about tables, air tools, and such a few months earlier.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

malvernridge
Class G

Workshop tips

Post by malvernridge »

Thanks John,

Not only Norm but Big Paul from OCR too! God I must get out more, out flying I mean.

I missed the search function at the top, not easy to spot! :mrgreen:

Is it possible to see a jig for the tanks etc? I know I may be jumping ahead of myself but I figured I could get prepared while I was waiting, and while I still had saw dust on the floor!

Rob

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks MRidge and Snap,

I never met Norm, but he isn't fah frum heeyah. Norm is in Sturbridge in the Western part of Massachusetts and I am near the ocean.

The garage is a classic New England design drawn by a local architect. I also installed a very tradional Cape Cod style coach light on it called "onion lights" as you can see on the front exterior shot.

As I progress I will offer recent photos for you to view.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Ron
Class E

Post by Ron »

NICE! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron
Wings & Fuselage

http://rons-rv-7.myairplane.com

malvernridge
Class G

Workshop tips

Post by malvernridge »

To all you soon to be rivetbangers.

Got home from work last night and my first parcel has arrived from Vans. :) Its the Preview Plans Manual. $50 which is approx £25 in the UK. I notice on flicking through that one or two tips for the workshop is in their. So if you are like me and are at the very start, havn't yet got the preview plans, GET EM! They are well worth it, even if you don't intend to build this year. It's excellent prior reading, answers a lot of questions you havn't yet thought of, and it's a must have NOW peice of the jigsaw! When you order the kit it comes with up to date instructions anyway, so I don't believe you will be jumping the gun. (UK term, I think).

Is that my first bit of advice? I think it is. Pleased to be able to give something back. This media is an excellent tool, perhapse the best. :yay:

Rob