NEW GUY HERE! :)

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
MexiFlyGuy
Class G

NEW GUY HERE! :)

Post by MexiFlyGuy »

Hello everybody,

I am new here to Rivetbangers (thanks Spike) and I thought I would introduce myself. I currently am only in the dreaming stage of building my RV, but the wife just gave me the go ahead... YAY. So as of right now I am just starting the process of collecting tools and setting up my workshop.

I currently am doing research on air compressors and the general consensus is to go with an oiled one. Do you guys have any input, or knowledge you wouldnt mind sharing? I dont want to get a HUGE one, because I am working with a 1 car garage, but I dont want to make the mistake of buying one that is too small to where it wont get the job done. any input would help, and if you guys know of any certain brand to go with (or stay away from) would help too...

Anyways, I am glad to be a part of what seems to be a great group. :grin:
Marshall
(Future RV-7A builder)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I have been using an oil-less single stage from Home Depot for five years and it keeps chugging along. The oiled 2 stages are nice and quiet and usually have nice large tanks because of their capacity, but its not strictly required.

Welcome :welcome:

Glad to have you aboard :thumbsup:

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

WELCOME Marshall!!!

Glad you stopped in. I think you will like it here; great folks that are willing to share knowledge in a friendly way. Hope you stick around.

If you want more info I am sure there have been some compressor postings here, but I'll weigh in any way.

Buy what you can afford is my advice. It will get used a lot so you should get what you want. Painting (priming and finish) will require larger capacity. Oiled rigs are quieter and I like my Ingersoll Rand Hobby Grade unit just for that reason. More about that off line here:

http://websites.expercraft.com/eseverson/?q=tools

There are a lot of guys that get by with minimal compressors so I wouldn't agonize over the choices (This is such good advice I wish I would follow it !!!) :o

Some builders become tool junkies and have to have the best of everything and that is OK (self rationalization here?). :oops:

The fact is though, that tools can become a real burden on the project if dollars are tight, so you don't need the best of everything. Again, tools that get used a lot (air compressor, rivet gun, etc,), are worth the extra money IMHO.

Good luck on feathering the nest. Keep us posted on the progress. I am looking forward to that obligatory photo of you with the emp kit box after delivery, on the front porch!!! :)

All the best.

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Welcome to Rivet Banger! :) :) I have a give gallon tank on my compresser and it is oiled. I can move mine around and it has had enought air to build my plane. I have spray painted cars with it but I wanted a better job on my airplane thant I would do. Again welcome. My plane is flying.

MexiFlyGuy
Class G

Post by MexiFlyGuy »

Thanks for the help... So it seems like I am just really new and ansioux about the everything at this time... I think I may have been putting way too much thought into it! :newbie: I think what I had in mind was just fine to start with. I think I am goint to settle on something about 10 to 20 lbs, blah blah blah. :) And I will be sure to send updates once my project gets a little more orginized to say the least. And I will def post a pic when my emp gets here, I havent ordered yet tho...

I am flying out to Oregon on the 16th of this month, an during my trip I am def stoping by Vans. Hopefully I can get a ride in one for the first time even though I will be there during Sun N Fun!
Marshall
(Future RV-7A builder)

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

Welcome to the group!!
I think you'll like it here.

I'm certaininly not an expert on air compressors - but here are few thoughts (others feel free to comment or disagree):

1. The most important thing to me was to avoid a small tank (must be larger than 5 gallons) - so the compressor would not keep cycling on and off.

2. If you are only going to use 1 tool at a time - 4-5 cfm at 90 psig capacity should be enough (this does not apply for painting)

3. If your shop is small (like mine) - consider a portable (i.e. wheeled) vertical tank.

4. If noise is a concern - go for the oiled rigs (like everyone else has said).

5. If you are thinking of painting your own project - make sure you get a compressor that will be compatible with your painting equipment (tank volume, air flow rate, oil separator, water filter, etc.).

I'm not going to paint my plane, I'm on a tight budget, I have a small shop, and did not want to annoy my neighbors with noise.... so I choose an inexpensive 4.4 cfm @90 psig, 21 gallon tank, single stage, oiled compressor from Harbor Frieght.
I've been building for 5 years and it's still going strong...

Lorin D
RV-9A - Standard Build
N194LD (Reserved)

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

Welcome to the group, Marshall :) If you find yourself in central Oregon on your trip, look me up! I'd be happy to show you some basically complete wings and a fuse kit still mostly in the crate.

I've been using a borrowed 20 gallon oil less compressor so far and it works fine, but I would definitely like something quieter at the very least. More volume would be second on the list.
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

MexiFlyGuy
Class G

Post by MexiFlyGuy »

Thanks everybody for the great info. :) I dont think I will be anywhere near central Oregon, im guessing you're around Bend area? I was born in Cottage Grove, but grew up in Eugene. I moved out to Cincinnati 7 years ago. This trip is going to be my wifes first time out to the west coast. So I have to take her to the Oregon coast, but for the most of our trip we will be in Eugene with family. I cant wait to tour Van's and hopfully get to take a ride. We shall see. :mrgreen:
Marshall
(Future RV-7A builder)

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Welcome to RB Marshall! Glad to have another 7/7A builder on the board! Take pics at Van's, and keep us up to date on your status!

8) 8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Welcome Marshall. Getting a tour of the factory will be interesting for sure, a test flight might just close the deal too.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Marshall,
First, welcome to rivetbangers! When you're in Oregon, allow me to also extend an invitation to stop by my place if you would like. I live about 25 minutes from Vans in the SE Portland area. I would be delighted to show you my project. My empennage and wings are finished, and my fuselage is nearly finished, too. It would be fun.

Bruce
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

MexiFlyGuy
Class G

Post by MexiFlyGuy »

Thanks guys. I will make sure I take lots of pics at Vans! And Bruce, thanks for the invite, I just might have to take you up on that! Right now I am not sure what day I will be going to Vans, But I will let you know! Leave for Oregon in 1 week! :rofl:
Marshall
(Future RV-7A builder)

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Marshall,

Check your PM's (private messages)

I just sent you some contact info.

Bruce
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com