Rivet Gun issue

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Joe Parish
Class D

Rivet Gun issue

Post by Joe Parish »

I bought a used Sioux 3X rivet Gun off the internet and am having issues with the trigger. Some times when I start to squeeze the trigger it is like it releases some air but the gun does not run. It is like it sticks? If I continue to squeeze it will eventually take off but by then it is really hitting hard. ( I do have a regulator on the gun set at 35lbs when this happens) I have oiled it every time I use it. I am wondering if I could have it repaired some where or should look into getting a different gun? Other times it seems to work fine? I can usually tell when it is doing it but it is really inconvenient when it happens. Only used on practice kit so far. Any advice appreciated?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hi Joe,

That seems like normal operations to me. Sometimes when you gently pull the trigger back (but not all the way), air just leaks out somewhere without the gun hammering away. I always pull the trigger back the whole way whenever I rivet. If you are finding it's "hitting" too hard, turn down the pressure on the regulator.

Good luck!

Mike B
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

I hear what you are saying but other times I pull the trigger slowly to start out and the gun starts out slow and increases as I pull the trigger more. A feathering affect of the trigger?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

smiller
Class G

Even when applying a force on the gun?

Post by smiller »

Mine does this as well but NOT if I'm applying any force on the plunger (set). In other words, if I hold the gun (rivet set) firmly even against a block of wood (or a rivet I'm about to set), and gently squeeze the trigger, it'll operate as expected. It only leaks air and gets "jammed" as you describe if I'm not applying pressure "down the barrel." Since I'm always applying pressure when setting a rivet, it's not an issue.

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

It does seem to do it even when applying pressure. I will see if the amount of pressure makes a difference?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

The pressure does not seem to make a difference on this gun?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

So my first thought now is that you should find a local builder who has experience with guns to see if it working incorrectly or if its your expectation that is a bit off.

However, from what you have said to date I am beginning to think that something is not right, either with your gun or with your air supply.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Spike, the fact that sometimes it will start out hitting slow and increase as I pull the trigger and other times I just hear it release air until you pull the trigger far enough when it finally starts hitting it is hitting really hard. I am not saying my technique is right I know the more I rivet the less I will rely on the feathering effect of the trigger. I will see if I can find someone to check it out?
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A