setting up a pneumatic squeezer

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
wurger
Class G

Post by wurger »

Hi everyone!

I just got my rebuilt CP-214 from Fred at Clear Air. I wonder if anybody would care to share their technique for the set-up and use of this little beast. I also would like to know how to set the yoke and where you buy shims and yokes for set-up.

I think Fred @ Clear Air is a good guy to do business with. He always throws a little token in with my order; it's a nice touch. :)

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

I got one from him and it works great. I don't use the shims. I bought the adjustable set from Avery. Get the one made for the pneumatic squeezer and don't use the one for the hand squeezer though. I run mine at 90 psi. I was a little disappointed that it didn't come with any instructions at all. I know it's a real simple tool, but come on, nothing at all? You're right though, he's nice to do business with. I got my yokes from him and the hand squeezer from Avery so I can interchange the yokes. I got the quick change pins also but found that I have to take the "key ring" part off of them because they got in my way.
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

wurger
Class G

Post by wurger »

Hi Mikey,

Once you have the adjustable yoke set, do you have to keep adjusting or does it keep its set. :? Thanks for your response.

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

It seemed to keep its set. But I have not used it for a long line of rivets yet. I have only done the rear wing spar and the aileron bellcranks which isn't very many rivets.
Mikey
RV-6A Wings
"If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

Pneumatic squeezer setup

Post by Guest »

First, get the adjustable set holder from Avery.

Then, when you adjust the set holder and get it right for the rivet size you are using, stop. Activate the squeezer with no rivets, then turn the set holder all the way up until the sets touch firmly, counting the turns. Write down the number of turns somewhere, preferably on the container you use for that size rivet. Next time, run the set holder up until the sets touch, back it off the specified number of turns and you are ready to go. Works every time, no washers to fiddle with, no checking needed except I do check the first rivet. So far, however, that first rivet has always been right.

Richard Scott

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

I never purchased an adjustable yoke. I just continued to use the shim type. I just wrote down the number and size, full or half, of the washers needed for a given rivet.

The only issue came when you had one of the rivets in a line which had one more layer of skin included. If you did not flag that one and just kept moving down the line, squarsh. Way over squeezed. I quess the positive is either it helps your memory, remember to remove the proper washers, or it helps perfect your ability to drill out a rivet!! (never a mistake, just another challenge

The same result would occur with either adjustment method, but the dial yoke would most likely speed up the process of changing the setting for one or two rivets. A couple min. to remove a washer or two, and then replace them is not a big deal, at least to me it wasn't.

Dale
Golf Delta

dirtmanf800
Class G

Post by dirtmanf800 »

Avery has the adjustable rivet set for $69 and US tool has one for $58 don't know if there is any difference between the sets :)
collecting tools, planning shop, studying -9A preview plans, old and new training project on hand, fabricating stiffeners.
dirtmanf800