platenut jig

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Reheat
Class G

platenut jig

Post by Reheat »

Just a quickie. Avery has a platenut jig to accurately drill holes for installing platenuts. I tried cleco-ing the platenuts and using them as guides for the holes with marginal results. This jig is worth the $$. Wish I had it sooner!
8QB -fus

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

is there a link so we can view this jug?
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Platenut jig ...

Post by Spike »

I have been looking at that jig for a while depating if I should get it or not. Sounds like this is a glowing endorsement. Maybe Ill opt for one.
Snap, heres a picture. They have 3 sizes depending on the size of the platenut. Their part numbers are 1160, 1180, and 1190. Hope that helps.

-- John

[/img]

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

God, dont we just love this stuff. Cant get enough of it. I wish there was more of us. Bye bye Mr Cessna.....Hello Mr RV. You will take over the world, with alittle help from us.
RV-7A Emp

g_e_young
Class E

Post by g_e_young »

I can't even tell you how much time I spent screwing around trying to drill plate nuts in my -6. It was one of the few things that I really hated (along with cutting the canopy and trying to drill into to the SS firewall).

I'm not sure what the jig costs, but it's got to be worth it. Besides, you can always sell it on the classifieds at Rivetbangers or ebay when you are done with it!

grant-

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

But what about when you build your next RV............
You know you can't stop at just one :lol:
RV-7A Emp

Philip Cobbin
Class G

Platenut jigs

Post by Philip Cobbin »

These jigs are actually quite simple to make from bar stock. If you do not have a lathe to "bullet nose" the locator pin you can use a file and a drill press. If there is any interest I'll post some pics of improvised tools/tooling we have used on our 7A project ranging from platenut jigs to drill jigs to match drill all the holes in the hinge material for the seats. By the by...if anyone is having to do any carpentry like framing overhead you may find a rivet gun works wonders for toe nailing overhead.... :)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Philip that is an awesome idea. Id love for you to start another thread about modifying tools. If you need web space feel free to upload pictures of them to our gallery. There is information on how to do that under the "Help" forum.

-- John