Compressors...revisited

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Compressors...revisited

Post by cjensen »

I am starting the process of researching tools to buy. I am not going to go with one of pre-assembled kits, but I am going to buy a starter rivet kit with a 3X gun, and then piece together the rest when I see what I am going to need.

One thing I will need right up front is an air compressor. There was a thread that started on the subject, and sort of went a different direction. There was some discussion about a 60 gallon 9 CFM (what is this??) 90 psi single chamber. 60 gallons seems HUGE. What about the little 5, 10, or 20 gallon compressors? I'll by what I need to buy, but will the smaller one's work?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

The duty time for your compressor for riveting and drilling is likely not going to exceed the capacity of the garden variety 2 hp units. If you're talking painting, sand blasting or spraying solvents, thats another story. I have a 2 hp two cylinder piston compressor that I bought in the 1970s. I used it to paint two airplanes and a couple of cars, but wouldn't recommend it. I spent alot of time waiting on it to recover after line pressure got too low during painting.
I have a smaller Sears, throw away when it dies, unit in my hangar. I use it for tires and cleaning things like the engine during oil changes, etc. It really is not up to the job of cleaning the engine. I did some riveting with it and it was OK for that. I was making some repairs to a cowling and probably set about 50 rivets that day.
Many 2 hp motors and most motors over about 3 hp will require 220 volts to operate them.

Bobby S

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Compressors...revisited

Post by Spike »

I have been using a 120 volt single stage 26 gallon compressor for my 9A. So far the only time that I have really run out of air was when using a die grinder with a scotchbrite wheel. In reality I just worked around it and it was no big deal. Personally, if you have the space and cash to do it, I would go with a 2 stage 240V compressor. Though if you don't have the place/resources for it (as I didn't) you can easily work around one of the smaller units. The one thing that I don't think you could use it for would be finish painting.

-- John

Submitted via email

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

This might be a stupid question (I do have some) but, whan did you guys go from 110v to 240v?

I mean, I lived in Alabama for 2 years when I was a kid and you had 110V. What has changed?

Thats all we have here. 240V.

I want my shirt!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

We have had 120/240 volt services here in the U.S. since about 1930 or so. In some VERY rural areas, 120v 30a lines were found. This is very rare nowadays.

Quite easily 95% of homes nw have 120/240 volt 3 wire systems.

200 amp is becoming the norm around here. It is unusual to see a 100 amp service.

We use 120 for lighting and 240 for motor, cooking, heating and cooling loads.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Same here. I know it's been around for a long time, but don't know when it became standard in our area. Our house was built in '77, and we use the same load config/120/240 system as CJ.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I have been looking at compressors on Harbor Frieght's website, and some of the compressors are rated using SCFM vs. CFM.

What's the difference???
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Snap-
We didn't really change, "standard" in the USA is 110 but some appliances (dryers, stoves, some compressors) use 220 and service to the house provides for this with different wiring.

cjensen-

I have the standard oilless (loud) craftsman compressor (see Dan Checkoway's site, rvproject.com) - I got the upright model. I built a box for it and put some insulation (foam) inside, so it is not too loud.

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Well I'll be,

I didn't know that. Here in Australia we just have 240V for everything. It is amazing the things that you learn whan talking to you guys. :o
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Just found two of the next entry. liked the other one so I'm getting rid of this one.
Last edited by jim_geo on Sun May 08, 2005 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I just finished a major modification of my compressor and thought I’d share a picture of it with you. Image
What it is, is an old but very nicely running five horse power two stage Quincy continuous run compressor that was removed from an outside location behind my shop to an indoor location in my shop. Since the noise level is a concern the decision to configure it as an on demand compressor was made. Added was an 80 gallon tank. I had the folks from Northwest Compressors do the install that included a new MagSwitch. The system was checked for amperage draw. At 23 amps, the service max for this motor, the pressure is 175 psi. I then added a copper line from the top of the tank to the compressors unloader that can be turned on or off by way of a valve. By switching the air to that line it converts it back to a continuous run compressor able to run all day and maintain its pressure at 135 psi.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

NICE!

I like the tank drain hose idea in the picture, Jim!

That sure makes things easier!

Neat install!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

N941WR

One suggestion

Post by N941WR »

Whatever size you buy, get a belt drive. Direct drives only directly drive you from your shop with the noise! Man, those things are loud!

BTW, I’m using a belt drive 5hp (110V, 20A)35 gal vertical Campbell Hausfeld I picked up at Northern Tool some time back. I haven't tried painting with it but is works great for everything I've done so far.