Questions about pneumatic squeezers

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Flaps
Class G

Questions about pneumatic squeezers

Post by Flaps »

Hey Guys,

I just received an ACAT (Chicago clone) tandem squeezer and it did not come with ANY information. I know it generates 6000lbs @ 90psi so I can squeeze those 3/16 rivets when I get to the wing spars. My plan was to operate it at 45 psi in the hopes of toning it down for other stuff. Will this work? Also what maintenance is involved with a squeezer such as lubrication ect? One more... I see yokes and dies advertized as .187 or 3/16 (3 mil diff), should I care?

Thanks,

BTW I should solo in a 172 in the next two weeks if I can get some good weather and I'm looking forward to a tailwheel clinic May 21st in Wausau flying a Citabria. Should be fun.
Bob Glentz
RV4 Empennage
N272RV Reserved

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Flaps,

COOL!! I hope weather holds out for you to get it in.

I have been wondering similar things about pneumatic squeezers myself.

:?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

Bob,

You do not need to reduce the presure you run the squeezer at for smaller rivets. I would use 90-100 psi if your compressor will deliver that. You need to adjust the spacing of the dies to squeeze the proper amount for each rivet length. Tis is done either by adding washers to the set holder or using an adjustable set holder. With respect to dies, .187 and 3/16 are the same thing. For lubrication, you do not want to put oil in the air intake as you would for other air tools. You might want to call one of the companies that sells squeezers to get better maintenance info.

Good luck,
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

Flaps
Class G

Post by Flaps »

Thanks Paul, I'll be getting the yoke and dies on order now which is just one of the many steps required to home build an RV grin! :mrgreen:

And thanks cjen for the encouragement. I am SO looking forward to flying the Citabria.
Bob Glentz
RV4 Empennage
N272RV Reserved

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I haven't ever flown one, but they sure do look like a fabric fun ship!

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Which model Citabria?

The one I have been flying is 150 HP, no flaps and fixed pitch prop. Super simple. I think it is a GCAA? I LOVE IT!

Has anyone cracked the code as to what those letters stand for???

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Flaps
Class G

Post by Flaps »

Hey CJ, Sorry for the wait but we had a family emergency here that put a lot on hold. Everything has settled down now. I flew a 7ECA 115hp w/the new metal wing ribs, very basic. The only instruments installed were an air speed, VSI, Altimeter, Slip and magnetic compass.

The CFI and I did wheel and 3 point landings. I'm a student pilot at this time training in a 172. I thought the experience of flying the Citabria would be fun, it was a blast! I am going to really like the tandem seating of the 4. I solo the 172 next week. What I learned in the tailwheel clinic helped my flare quite a bit. I hope to log a lot of hours in the Citabria after I get my Private Pilots License and Tailwheel endorsement.

This link may help for model numbers of the Citabria.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20p ... /FRAME.htm
Bob Glentz
RV4 Empennage
N272RV Reserved