Hand Squeezer

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Hand Squeezer

Post by cjensen »

Why do we need 1", 2", and 3" hand squeezers?

Doesn't it make sense that a 3" yoke will do everything the others will do?

:?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Hand Squeezer

Post by Spike »

Think access. You can't get a 3" yoke in some tight spaces that you can get a 1" yoke in. Alternatively, a 1" yoke will flex more than a 3" yoke will which will affect your ability to set the rivet. So, think 3" for big accessible rivets. And the smaller yokes for harder to reach rivets (which are typically smaller.)

-- Spike

Why do we need 1", 2", and 3" hand squeezers?

Doesn't it make sense that a 3" yoke will do everything the others will do?

Submitted via email

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Will a 1" yoke flex more? Seems to me it would be stiffer since there is not as much throat.

I would consider getting a longeron and a thin nose yoke before all those; I have these two plus a 3" standard and haven't needed anything else yet. There are some rivets (in addition to the obvious skin rivets) that cannot be squeezed in the empennage, but the combination of these three yokes gets most everything. My 3" yoke is the stiffest and has the least flex of all 3 yokes.

Thomas

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Hand Squeezer

Post by Spike »

I do believe that the 1" flexes more due to its smaller cross section than that of a 3".

Will a 1" yoke flex more? Seems to me it would be stiffer since there is not as much throat.
Submitted via email

Post by Guest »

That's absolutely untrue.

The longer the reach on a yoke, the more apt it is to flex. That's why the 4" yokes for pneumatic rivet squeezers have a 1 1/4" base and are so much beefier all around that the smaller yokes.

You will start to notice some serious deflection on the Tatco 3" yoke on 1/8" rivets. The smaller yokes will not do so. Many people suggest you use the smallest yoke applicable to the job as there is also a matter of balancing a heavier yoke when you don't need to.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Hand Squeezer

Post by Spike »

Excellent! Thanx for the correction!! I had always been under the impression that the smaller yokes deflected more. Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

-- John

Submitted via email