Minimum workshop size

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Niner Dreamer
Class G

Minimum workshop size

Post by Niner Dreamer »

I am hoping to build a 9a and need to build a workshop first. I live in the UK and therefore space is at more of a premium than in 'good old US of A'. So what is the minium internal space I can get away with, without going mad?

By the way I won't be painting the complete aircraft myself, so I will not need the workshop to be able to take a fully rigged plane.

Cheers

Philip

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Workshop size ...

Post by Spike »

I have started building in a workshop that is roughly 16' x 20' . Actually its in the basement of my townhome. I have figued out that I easily have the space to build the tail and the wings. I think I also have the space to build the fuse but I'm going to have to figure out how to get it out of the basement.

How big is your space that you have now ?

Heres a few shots of mine:

-- John

workshop size

Post by Guest »

I'm also building a 9 in the UK. You can complete the airframe in a single garage quite easily - but you need somewhere to store the completed wings & tail while you work on the fuselage - either out of the garage or up in the roof. More room is always nicer though!! Once the structure is completed you need a bit more room as with the engine & rudder hung the fuselage is pretty long.

My advice would be to get started - there's always a solution & people take builders a lot more seriously than wannabees.

Have you registered for the UK RV Squadron on Yahoo Groups. Lots of good stuff there! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rvsqn/ also take a look at http://www.rvuk.flyer.co.uk/

Dave

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: workshop size

Post by Spike »

Good Response David, though Im a bit curious as to this comment....
Anonymous wrote: My advice would be to get started - there's always a solution & people take builders a lot more seriously than wannabees.
I guess I dont understand whats being implied. Is he being a "wannabe" simply because he wants to take care of due process and make sure he does enough research to make him happy before he jumps in ? I guess I didnt get yer drift here. :?

-- John

Phil Cobbin

workshop size

Post by Phil Cobbin »

We have been building an RV-7A in the house....garage...dining room...etc. The building is done in a bedroom with a six foot sliding glass door, the priming of parts is done in the garage (30x30) as well as rigging. The wings and horizontal stabillizer fit nicely in the dining room on their storage cart and the rest of the parts are stored in a utility room. We made the carts from the shipping crates. You can see examples on the blogger site my niece keeps up for me at http://unclephil.blogspot.com

I definitely recommend building a plane in the house you do much more work on it. Here in New Hampshire it would be a real bare always having to stoke up a fire to work in the garage and it's nice and toasty (and well lit) in the back bedroom.....

Good Luck! :)
Last edited by Phil Cobbin on Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niner Dreamer
Class G

Post by Niner Dreamer »

Spike

Thanks for your reply, I currently have a plot of land at the bottom of my garden about 35 ft by 20ft which I can build on. I was going to lay a concrete base when it warms up next year and then build a workshop out of blocks.

I don't want to build it anywhere near that size as, the neighbours will complain and I don't think the wife will be too pleased either.

16ft by 20ft sounds slightly short, the completed fuselage is around 22ft I thinks so I wonder if I could get away with say 16 by 23 ft.

Dave

The reason for the question is that the shed needs to go up before I start building the plane. I don't want to put up shed only to find that it is too short. Trying to build an extension to a shed around a part built plane is not my idea of fun.

Phil

I will probably put parts in the attic (tail fin, flaps etc). I wonder if I can persuade my wife to have a wing shaped dining table? It would make an excellent conversation piece.

Cheers

Philip

prestwich
Class D

ha ha ha

Post by prestwich »

You silly guys and your cavernous workshops. Now, here's where I plan to build my tail. It's an enclosed porch that's 58" wide and 11' long. Hey, at least I won't tire myself out walking around too much. When you live in a 500 square foot house with no garage, you have to be resourceful. Maybe I should start clearing out some of this non-airplane junk before my tail arrives, huh?

Image[/url]

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Spike, I think I understand Dave.

I also think he is absolutely right! I dare say that 90% of empennage kits are suspended in garages at 11' AGL for eternity. 25% of wing kits are cradled for life. 10% of fuse kits sit awaiting avionics and engines.

If you don't start, you will never finish. Senior builders sometimes look towards junior builders with a codescending eye. NOT ALL, just some.

I think that everyone here is the helping kind, BTW! That is why we are here!

Anywhoooo, there is nothing to it but to do it!

Regarding a workshop, I laid the groundwork out well ahead of time and although it took me 2 YEARS to get the shop of my dreams, I now have it. I can proceed comfortably with my project now.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't hesitate to begin in my enclosed porch or bedroom either!

P-wich, you will need to move the oil, envelopes and model rocket before you begin!

Order that Emp Kit!!!

:goodevil: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

thats not a model rocket, thats going under the wings!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I forget the name of the guy I was talking to at Van's factory but we were talking about shops and shop size. Now I don't know how many of us here have actually been to Van's place but the front lobby is smaller than any single car garage by a long way. Well long story short that person (wish I could remember his name) built his plane in a space no bigger than the lobby. According to him. What ever his name was. :oops:

prestwich
Class D

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by prestwich »

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey, hey , heey!!!!

Lookie here!!!

Nice improvement!

Way to go!

:yay: CJ
RV-7

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

jim_geo wrote:I forget the name of the guy I was talking to at Van's factory but we were talking about shops and shop size. Now I don't know how many of us here have actually been to Van's place but the front lobby is smaller than any single car garage by a long way. Well long story short that person (wish I could remember his name) built his plane in a space no bigger than the lobby. According to him. What ever his name was. :oops:
We talked to the same person. John was lamenting the fact that he didn't have a shop yet (last summer at Osh). The guy told us that he built his plane in his apartment. From there we walked right over to the counter and bought the preview plans.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

They must hire that guy to walk around and say that stuff!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

Captain_John wrote:They must hire that guy to walk around and say that stuff!

EDIT: Ken Scott
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

H'mm I ordered my entire plane that day :oops:

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Yes Ken did build his 6 in his apartment. And it even flys!! :mrgreen:
Dan

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

OH YEAH!

WELL, I built a ship in a BOTTLE ONCE!!!

RV-7

robertstdenis
Class G

Post by robertstdenis »

jkhkjhjk
Last edited by robertstdenis on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prestwich
Class D

workshop size revisited

Post by prestwich »

OK, it's time for a follow up. Scroll up this thread to see where I started. So far, it's working, but I wouldn't want a shop much smaller than this. I can't suck in my stomach any harder. Any of you guys got an extra two-car garage you're not using?